how to rename a file

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
Around
Ok I am new to Mac and I have some photos I uploaded from a camera. I wanted to rename the pictures. On Windows I just right click and clicked on "rename" and that was it.
Would it be the same to rename all types of files?
I did a search on the forum and found nothing. Thanks.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Ok I am new to Mac and I have some photos I uploaded from a camera. I wanted to rename the pictures. On Windows I just right click and clicked on "rename" and that was it.
Would it be the same to rename all types of files?
I did a search on the forum and found nothing. Thanks.
2 quick and painless ways. You can "Get Info" on the file and rename it there (text box entry midway down the get info panel) OR the easy way is the old (as it is in windows it's the same here) click and click again and the file name MINUS the extension will be highlighted. In windows the extension is highlighted but in OS X the extension is not so all your renaming is the filename.

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
I'm assuming you're not using iPhoto right? If you are, then edit the title for the picture (found in the picture information box that appears in the lower left corner ... assuming you've clicked on the little circle 'i' in the bottom left).

If you just have pictures sitting in a folder or on the desktop then select (single click) the image and press the return key. It will highlight the name and you can edit to your heart's content. (That works for all files and folders BTW ;) )

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
OK, assuming you are doing it in the finder just click the filename once to select it, and then either wait a couple of seconds and click it again OR press return/enter and the name will be highlighted in light blue and be editable. Just press enter OR click somewhere else when done to set the new name.

Edit: OK, too slow on the draw! ;)

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
Around
2 quick and painless ways. You can "Get Info" on the file and rename it there (text box entry midway down the get info panel) OR the easy way is the old (as it is in windows it's the same here) click and click again and the file name MINUS the extension will be highlighted. In windows the extension is highlighted but in OS X the extension is not so all your renaming is the filename.
When I do it the 1st way it's not a JPEG anymore, it opens in quicktime for some reason:confused:
The 2nd way works great.. THANKS!!!

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
Around
OK, assuming you are doing it in the finder just click the filename once to select it, and then either wait a couple of seconds and click it again OR press return/enter and the name will be highlighted in light blue and be editable. Just press enter OR click somewhere else when done to set the new name.

Edit: OK, too slow on the draw! ;)
Thanks, this way works the best. Like I said before the other way changes the type of file from a JPEG to a plain text and it opens in quicktime.

gusious

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2007
Greece
Thanks, this way works the best. Like I said before the other way changes the type of file from a JPEG to a plain text and it opens in quicktime.
In the first way did you change the extension too?For example something.jpg to something?

Another more easy way is to hit Enter(or return,same button).With this you''ll mark only the name and not the extencion!;)

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
Around
In the first way did you change the extension too?For example something.jpg to something?

Another more easy way is to hit Enter(or return,same button).With this you''ll mark only the name and not the extencion!;)
yup, it changed my extension.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
Around
You fixed it right?
Nope, I didn't need the file so I just deleted it. I was testing on files I really don't need. How would I fix it?
I also remembered 1 time I copied an image from a site and I renamed it and it changed the extension and changed the type a file it was again (opening w/ quicktime player again).

gusious

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2007
Greece
Nope, I didn't need the file so I just deleted it. I was testing on files I really don't need. How would I fix it?
I also remembered 1 time I copied an image from a site and I renamed it and it changed the extension and changed the type a file it was again (opening w/ quicktime player again).
In your image you could put the extension .jpg and would open normally with preview!;)

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
As above, to rename multiple files, you can also use Name Mangler.
I have to give the nod to Name Mangler as well. I use it daily to rename several hundred pictures for my web sites--it really does it all--and is easily configurable to suit your needs. It's free too (donations requested).

thespyglass

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2008
Liverpool UK
So, sorry, can I just clarify, since I'm switching to a Mac asap:

You can also change the extension of a file using these methods?
Because I often get sent things with a .abc (for example) extension and need to change them to .rar or .pdf for example.

sallywon

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2008
How to rename a file

As my friend said Assuming you are doing it in the finder just click the filename once to select it, and then either wait a couple of seconds and click it again OR press return/enter and the name will be highlighted in light blue and be editable. Just press enter OR click somewhere else when done to set the new name.

Edit: OK, too slow on the draw!