Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evb12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2015
I have a CD with about 600 jpg school portraits on it, named numerically (but not in any kind of order). I have an accompanying Excel sheet with a column with the current file name and I've created a column with the file names I'd like instead.

I would like to convert the image file names to include the student's name with a list.

For example:
Original Name
1Y01223.JPG
1Y03993.JPG
1Y04045.JPG
1Y02350.JPG

New Name
Anna_Baxter_11Y01223.JPG
Scott_Collins_1Y03993.JPG
Kyle_Robertson_1Y04045.JPG
Sophia_Velez_1Y02350.JPG

The "New Name" certainly doesn't have to be exactly as I have it, it simply needs to have the kid's name and original file name married into one somehow.

I've seen various posts about how to tackle this, but nothing very current, and nothing I can wrap my head around how to actually do from scratch. I'm on a Mac running OSX 10.9.5 and I have MS Office 2011 and Adobe Creative Suite CC 2014. Help!! :)

Last edited:

mgroot

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2014
You should be able to make a script to be used in terminal that renames them..
I usually do it with a bit of search and replace, you've already got two columns with the old and new file name so all you need to add is a column which has mv in it and then output that to a text file with lines resembling something like this:
mv oldname1.jpg newname1.jpg
mv oldname2.jpg newname2.jpg
etc..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.