How to repair broken paths?

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by medharvest, Dec 3, 2014.

1. medharvest macrumors newbie

Hi!

A few months ago, I dropped my laptop and completely smashed it. Since I had a backup, I recovered by duplicating the laptop User account onto one of my iMacs.

This worked well, except that I started getting permission errors.

SYMPTOMS OF MY PROBLEM:
    • Dropbox folder won't open because I don't have permission
    • Screenshots won't save because I don't have permission
    • Some applications won't function, particularly Skype

I solved the screenshot issue already by using terminal to change location of default save folder. But I have no clue what to do about the other stuff.

Skype is super annoying. It opens fine, but won't take my password. Eventually I decided to create a fresh account with new pw, still wouldn't work. When that didn't work, I downloaded the latest Skype and set up yet another new account. Still, no dice.

I don't think that permissions are broken. I think the stored paths are the problem.

The user account and password on my iMac were the same on my laptop. Because I had different things stored on each (personal vs business), I did not simply overwrite.

What I did was simply add a number to my laptop User.

HERE IS WHAT I THINK IS THE PROBLEM:
    When I am in the Laptop acct, I think the computer is being told to look for permissions to folders that belong to the iMac acct.

For instance, I want to open this:
    /users/MyAcct/SomeFolder

But OSx references:
    /users/MyAcct1/SomeFolder

Because I'm not logged into that acct, I don't have permission (of course!).

The ultra-annoying thing is that Apple does not tell me which folder I don't have permission to access. It just says, "Denied! Sorry, bro."

Grrrr!

For the skype thing, I may have to delete it's hidden log, but I have no idea what to look for.

Is there anyway to use Terminal to search for and change any references inside one user to another? Is this something that will require KeyChain repair?

Any help would be DEEPLY appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Search for help using the terminal command "chown" in regards to a Mac User folder.