Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yalag

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
I've tried searching for an app or tools that can do this in macOS but I couldn't find any.

There seems to be a key repeat setting in system prefs but it seems to have no effect. For example in notes, if I hold a key it would not repeat?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Symbols will repeat, but alphanumeric characters will not repeat. (booted to Mojave)
I'm not sure when that went away, but I don't pay attention to some of those kind of changes... :cool:
Looked on my PPC Leopard system, and that repeats with any key, as you might expect.

yalag

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
Symbols will repeat, but alphanumeric characters will not repeat. (booted to Mojave)
I'm not sure when that went away, but I don't pay attention to some of those kind of changes... :cool:
Looked on my PPC Leopard system, and that repeats with any key, as you might expect.

Thanks for testing it out. Is there a way to have this? I'm surprised you cant do this on a mac at all. No apps, nothing

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Found it...
Open your terminal
Copy/Paste this command, and press enter to run that command.
Code:
defaults write -g ApplePressAndHoldEnabled -bool false
I think all you need to do is quit and reopen whatever app you are using.
But, I do know that a restart will fully enable key repeat.

** reason why - "press and hold" triggers a character select popup on certain letters, such as n and e. The command disables that feature, and that then allows the "normal" key repeat for all apps. **

Reactions: BrianBaughn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.