Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cruclax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2014
Hi All,

I got a macbook pro 2011 13.3'' from a friend. The HD was broken and he gave me a Samung 840 PRO SSD to replace it. So far I have been not make Disk Utility to recognize it. This is what I did:

1- Powered up the mac and the loading screen kept going on forever.
Tried to initalize in recovery mode but the icon flashed between the apple and the folder with a question mark. I assumed that the HDD was really broken.

2- I replaced the broken HHD with the SSD

3- I booted in Internet Recovery mode.
After it downloaded the source, it froze in the initial language selection screen, and about 4 minutes later it came back to life.
I initialized Disk Utility and it didn't recognize the SSD. It only showed the Max OS X Base System drive (1.39GB)
If I choose Re-install Lion, it prompts to select a disk and the list is empty.

4- I took out the SSD and connected it to my Windos 7 PC. It recognized it but disk manager showed it as unallocated. So I formated it as NTFS and then as exFAT using command line format /FS:exFAT G:
I used Samusng Magician and it showed that everything was OK with the SSD.

5- I re insterted it in the macbook and still does not get recognized

As you see I'm throwing punches in the dark here. I'm a Mac newbie and not a windows expert either.

Now Im thinking maybe it is the macbook SATA cable that is faulty and the drive partition system has nothing to do with it? It should at least recognize the drive itself.

Any help appreciated!!

P.S.: I have access to a macbook white with 10.6.8 if that could help

Last edited:

modiolo

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2014
Hello
I know this is not the same thing you want to do, because your hdd does not work apparently and also Im not really an experienced guy, but I have done exactly what this guy does in this video, and there is a part that shows how you should format or prepare that same ssd. Same year Macbook pro, so maybe it is useful
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJHMQlvPEz0

Good Luck!!!

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Thanks but I did that, on step 5... I just edited the post, maybe that wasn't clear
It is still not clear. When I wrote Macbook, I of course meant the Macbook white. When you write Macbook in the text, I assume you meant the Macbook Pro? :)

In any case, did it work in the Macbook white?

cruclax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2014
Thanks for you help but finally I replaced the Macbook Pro HHD with the Macbook White HDD and clean installed 10.9. So far so good (though I had problems booting one time which I fixed rebooting PRAM and NVRAM)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.