How To Replace Home Button Ribbon? iPhone 3g

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by hotrock3, Sep 4, 2009.

1. hotrock3 macrumors member

Hi,

I have ended up with an iPhone 3g with a melted home button and I need to replace the ribbon too.

How do I take the old one out and replace the new one?

I know I have to take the front panel apart and remove the glass but what about the actual ribbon it's self?

Does it just pull out and push the new one in or is there something more?

--
    Thanks
    Andrew

2. hotrock3 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks but a quick look shows that they do not even mention this repair. That was the first place I looked.

3. 0xCAFE macrumors newbie

0xCAFE

Did you get an answer or found a good guide? The two prongs of the Home button cable were smashed and when I tried to raise them a bit, they broke :(

I know where to get a new one, but how do I replace it, it looks like it's been casted in the plastic :confused:

Thx!

4. csheath macrumors member

There is a more 'ghetto' fix you can do for this.

I simply got some aluminium foil and folded it over to make 2 tiny pieces. Then fold those over two very small strips of insulation tape. Positions these where the spring contacts were and then re-assemble.

Its a nasty fix admittedly but hey its upgrade time soon and right now my iPhone is fully functional

5. wejester macrumors newbie

Thank you so much for this! I definitely prefer this instead of changing the whole button(although I ordered one and everything).

I just put a piece of aluminium foil there and closed the phone, used no tape or anything, and now it works! Hopefully it wont come off right away.