How to replace retina screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mstgkillr, Nov 14, 2012.

1. mstgkillr macrumors regular

Apple is replacing my 15" Retina MacBook Pro screen with part number 661-7171 which I believe is a Samsung screen. I should have it back in 3-5 days.

I hate the thought of my cosmetically flawless RMBP being torn apart, dinged, bent, pried, or scratched but at this point it is my only option. Considering that it was literally flawless, well besides the image retention and dead pixels, any idea what I should do if it has a few minor flaws which I am kind of expecting?

What is actually involved and replaced when they do a screen replacement? Is the screen and lid replaced or only the screen?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The entire lid assembly will get replaced, not just the lcd display panel.

Everything is glued and laminated to the lid so it gets replaced completely.

3. gentlefury macrumors 68030

If you are taking it to Apple they will return it to you as you gave it to them, or better.

4. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Honestly Apple should start a paid service where they actually film the process they go through to ship your stuff, fix your stuff. 'Cause people seem to be very interested in every little detail.

5. mstgkillr thread starter macrumors regular

I dropped it off to a Genius at the Apple Store. When the Genius documented the condition of the RMBP, he placed it upside down on the lid, to check for any damage on the bottom and then slid it off the countertop, while it was still upside down, before placing a foam cover over it. I have to assume there would be a few scratches just from that, not to mention he dropped his iPad on it too.

He was trying to help myself and two other people at the same time, jumping from one to another, slowing us all down. It took me over an hour after meeting the Genius to hand over my computer. He was rushing all over the place; hopefully they don't rush through my repair the same way.

6. gentlefury macrumors 68030

As was already said, the entire lid will be replaced....so he could slide it across a gravel road and it won't make a bit of difference. If you happen to get it back in a conditional that is less than you gave it to them they will correct it. They aren't known for the best customer service in the industry for abusing peoples expensive devices.

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If this kind of stuff bothers you, don't take your Macs to an Apple store for repair. Call AppleCare. I don't like wasting my time in a store if the component can't be replaced on the spot.