HOW TO: Replace rMBP SSD w/ Video

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Orlandoech, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Orlandoech, Oct 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2012

Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I have a rMBP, 2.3/16/256 and I was able to get a Samsung 512GB SSD from a display model rMBP so I decided to make a quick video showing the painless procedure of swapping out the the SSD in a rMBP with another Samsung or OWC SSD.

You will need;

I highly recommend the Samsung over the OWC since it is faster and the Samsung doesn't use the Sandforce controller, where as the OWC SSD does.

*To get all my data from the old SSD I used CCC to make a bootable clone of my current SSD to a USB3 External Hard Drive. Once the clone was done, I physically swapped out the SSDs. I then booted from the External HDD, once in OS X, I then used CCC again to make a bootable copy of my External HDD to my SSD installed. You can also just do an Internet Recovery of OS X if you want to do a clean install or if you do not have an external HDD to clone to.

VIDEO: http://youtu.be/_Crd__bTThk?hd=1

For those wondering, I have an iCarbons White Carbon Fiber vinyl.
    http://www.icarbons.com/collections/macbook-pro-15-with-retina-display

2. Orlandoech thread starter macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

UPDATE: 2 weeks and still no issues. SSD is fast and TRIM enables automatically. Very nice upgrade.

3. Mdwall macrumors member

Not to pry but how much did the 512 set you back? I see they're up for around 600 on eBay but; when you can just buy the upgraded model for about that same outlay plus a faster processor and save the labor/chance of voiding warranty then I just don't understand the why of it presently.

4. InfinitiG macrumors 6502

had no idea the ssd was so easily replaceable

5. Orlandoech thread starter macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Oh you're fine. I got it for free actually, but yes it will set you back $500-$600 on ebay. But if you got 256GB and as time goes on the prices will drop making it a worth while upgrade in the future for some rMBP users.

The labor is so minimal, its not really labor.

6. xxcysxx macrumors 6502

that is if apple doesn't decide to switch interface socket between the ssd and main board. otherwise even of price of ssd falls, you still wouldn't get the capacity you want at the price you want.
    apple ssd interface is very proprietary, they'll change it if they see potential performance increase.

7. Mdwall macrumors member

Cool deal man I wish I was that well connected but it is nice to know it is as easy as I suspected it might be.

I kind of doubt they change the interface any time soon though to be honest. The OWC upgrade is grossly overpriced for what it offers IMO and the only way to go about upgrading is to try and find a source as the OP mentioned. I see that iFixit has the 512 and the 768 priced on their site (none in stock obviously yet) for what I would consider reasonable.

I'm sure enough engineering cost went into the current drive to prevent any drastic changes anytime soon.

The storage is one of if not the biggest hang up I've had on this purchase. If I could reasonably upgrade the storage on the base model I'd already be posting this from it. Of course wanting to get the AC extension kind of precludes modifying the system unless sticking a bigger stock drive in wouldn't be detectible.

8. tmanto02 macrumors 65816

tmanto02

Brilliant! Nice to know that there are samsung drives out there. I hear the OWC drive is alot slower.

9. rodolfo7171 macrumors newbie

Aftermarket upgrade?

So I been eying the new samsung 840 evo msata 1tb ssd but I've been wondering if it I'll work in the 2012 rMBP 15"

10. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

That is nice. 512GB price is very expensive. Right now I have less than 110GB free space that means I can't add anymore apps. :apple:

11. rodolfo7171 macrumors newbie

Yea same here. I'm beginning to run low. I'm waiting for the price to drop a bit more before I go for it. I just want to make sure it will work before I go out and get it

12. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

110GB is a lot, some people only have 128GB drives to start with

13. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Sadly, no. Apple is using a proprietary connection.