How to reset a 2010 Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by L33dwc, Dec 26, 2015.

1. L33dwc macrumors newbie

L33dwc

Hi

Have had iPhones, iPads and iPods I have dipped my toe into the world of macs and have been fortunate to pick up 2010 Mac. All in good working order. However there is a slight issue. Mainly being that I can't access the admin account due to no password p. And it is unavailable. I have tried to get into recovery mode but it seems it is not available to pre 2011 Mac. Also it has not updated for a long time

So what are my options. Fresh install using a external drive. If so how can I do this, then add this to the internal hard drive? If not what are my other options and how do,I go about this. Also what OS X can I use?Sorry for the vague post.

Thanks

2. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Google "single user reset password osx" without the " that will get you the method to reset the password. A 2010 should be able to run the latest software which is good since that is all you will get when using the App Store to download new OS. Once you have the new OS downloaded start the installer and when you get to where you can use disk utility after it has rebooted the first time wipe the entire drive in the machine to start fresh. From that point on it is a matter of following the directions given until it completes.

3. L33dwc thread starter macrumors newbie

L33dwc

Sorry for the large reply. I have now sorted this. Basically I went further and managed to set up a completely new admin. Now running el captain smoothly. Thanks.