How to Reset an iPhone 7 or Enter DFU Mode for Last-Ditch Recovery

Discussion in 'Guides, How Tos and Reviews' started by MacRumors, Sep 16, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This tutorial explains how to reset an iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, and how to activate Device Firmware Upgrade (DFU) mode to troubleshoot your device if needed. Apple has changed the reset process with the iPhone 7 series, and with the devices now making their way into users' hands, it's a good time to let everyone know what to do when things go wrong.

A hard reset basically force-reboots your iPhone, which is useful if the device is freezing, throwing up errors, or has stopped responding completely. DFU mode, on the other hand, restores an iPhone if a reset or standard Recovery Mode doesn't solve the problem you're experiencing.

DFU mode lets the device interface with iTunes, update the firmware and restore the OS without automatically installing the last downloaded version. It's useful for installing older versions of iOS if a beta persistently hangs your phone, or if a jailbreak goes bad.

Note for iPhone 6s and earlier owners: Apple has had to alter the hard reset process and DFU mode activation on the iPhone 7 because the physical-click home button has been replaced with a Force Touch-based Taptic Engine, which is rendered unresponsive if the OS isn't functioning properly. Owners of iPhone 6s/6s Plus or earlier devices should therefore consider all mentions of the "lower volume button" in the below steps to indicate when the home button should be held down instead.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: How to Reset an iPhone 7 or Enter DFU Mode for Last-Ditch Recovery

2. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

Does this indicate that the lock and volume buttons will remain physical?

3. 2457282 Suspended

I had no idea that the reset had changed to use the lower volume button. Thank you MR, this will save me some frustration in the near future. :D

4. SteveJobs2.0 macrumors 6502a

This post is rambling too much. Get to the point within a sentence or two.

5. kirky29 macrumors 65816

kirky29

It took me a few minutes to work this out earlier when my iCloud restore went 'tits up'!

6. bhall110 macrumors regular

Didn't even think about this. Good to know.

7. naeS1Sean macrumors 6502a

naeS1Sean

Great article! Thanks for thinking of this before I did! lol

8. JustThinkin' macrumors 6502

You must be joking. I found the article well written - in fact it was just right. Novices and Experts alike can get the point quickly - because it provides proper context.

9. realeric macrumors 65816

realeric

"Use 'lower volume button' instead of 'home button' to reset or DFU iPhone 7".

10. SteveJobs2.0 macrumors 6502a

Bullet points are fine, but the initial paragraphs contribute little to the discussion. Also, at least on the mobile version, you cannot see how to reset the phone until you read the full text which requires clicking on a separate link.

11. Telos101 macrumors regular

Telos101

This is a really good point. Something has to remain physical on the iPhone 8, right? Otherwise every OS freeze would essentially brick your phone!

12. decimortis macrumors 6502a

decimortis

I wonder if they'd end up doing pressure points in that case. Like, pinching your phone together in the middle of the screen will do a reset, and say, pinching the middle, plus pinching the top left corner would activate DNU. I dunno, spit-balling and talking out of my arse mostly.

13. Waxhead138 macrumors 6502

You might be onto something there with force touch. It would get complicated...but you might have just accidentally nailed a future process lol.

14. Kaibelf macrumors 68020

Kaibelf

Behold, the Twitter generation.

15. Larry The L Suspended

Are you serious? The article is fine. The things you people complain about just astound me. Can you please rewrite the article for us and prove your point by showing us how your abridged version will work better than the one presented. Thanks so much.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 16, 2016 ---
    You need to understand that some people have an attention span of only one sentence. We must accommodate them.

16. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Had there been two sentences written instead:

"What the hell? This isn't an article. Next time, take the effort to write some more stuff before putting it on your page."

17. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

LOL, I was wondering why I couldn't get the phone to restart while holding Home and Power buttons. Tried it on two 7's, and neither would budge...

18. AppleWarMachine macrumors 65816

AppleWarMachine

Yeah, good to know because I already had to use this. Tried restoring my iPhone 7 from iTunes backup (which I just did this morning) and my phone bricked, did this, then restored from iCloud instead o_O

19. akfgpuppet, Sep 16, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2016

akfgpuppet macrumors regular

akfgpuppet

Off topic, but can anyone else enter field test mode on the phone app? Did they change the code for it?

Just kidding, I got it.

20. TMRJIJ macrumors 68030

TMRJIJ

TL;DR ;)

21. MyopicPaideia macrumors 68000

MyopicPaideia

This is why there will always be at least two physical buttons on the phone regardless of design...

22. Kajje macrumors 6502a

Kajje

Ever seen a brick with buttons? Didn't think so.

23. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

Ok. Since Apple is often a late comer, let's see how a button less phone work when there is no way to force the phone to restart. Apple could wait and see how this would be possible. Waterproof can coexist with physical buttons. There must be something on phone to restore it regardless of its state.

24. Fortimir macrumors 6502a

Fortimir

Yeah, those instructions work for the already-initiated. But every day there will be people learning on how to do this for the first time. Obviously they put this post together for search engine purposes so in the future when someone goes to Google trying to figure this out, all the instructions are there.

25. vpndev macrumors 6502

Exactly. And the number of physical buttons has a minimum of TWO.