How to reset Lion to factory settings

v2club

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2011
Hi, I just installed Lion on my MBP and have backed up everything that I needed, when the instillation was completed everything was still there, just the way I left it. So how do I wipe out everything?

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Hi, I just installed Lion on my MBP and have backed up everything that I needed, when the instillation was completed everything was still there, just the way I left it. So how do I wipe out everything?
By default it'll do an upgrade, not a clean install. To do a clean install, burn the installation .dmg to an external HD or USB key (random site with instructions on how to do this). Then boot from that, format your disk using Disk Utility in the installer, and then proceed with the installation.

Comment

Pottsie1

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2010
Indianapolis
Where to find OS X Lion Installer after installation

By default it'll do an upgrade, not a clean install. To do a clean install, burn the installation .dmg to an external HD or USB key (random site with instructions on how to do this). Then boot from that, format your disk using Disk Utility in the installer, and then proceed with the installation.
I have installed Lion, but now want to make a boot disk. The problem is that I can't find the installer. I did a search for OS X Lion Installer and the file InstallESD.dmg, but with no results. Is it deleted after the install and if so, can I download it again?

Last edited:
Comment

lahav redler

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2011
download it again from the app store, go to purchased items, then click on option + purchased again, it should let you download it again.

Comment