How to reset Mac to "from factory" state

Discussion in 'macOS' started by NickM, Feb 27, 2010.

1. NickM macrumors 6502

I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times before, but I've seen some varying answers and nothing specific to Snow Leopard, and instead of wasting my time reinstalling several times to try them out, I thought I'd ask for myself.

I recently (2 days ago) received a brand new iMac.
    I'm now going to sell it, and would like to restore it to the "right out of the box" state, where it will start the setup assistant when it's turned on...as if it were never turned on before.

I saw some methods involving command lines and whatever, but I'm wondering if there is a simple way.
    Can I simply turn off the Mac at a certain point during the OS install to achieve this?

Sorry if this question has been beaten to death, but I'm really curious.
    And if you're wondering, I'm only selling the iMac because I now regret not getting the quad-core!

Thank you very much in advance!:apple:

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This is not complicated at all. This is what your System Restore disc is for. Use it.

3. NickM thread starter macrumors 6502

Can you elaborate a little please?
    I know how to reinstall an OS, but how can I leave it so that when the next user turns the computer on, it will show that Welcome intro vid and go through the setup assistant?

If you can't tell, I'm fairly new to the Mac world.
    It of course came with 2 discs. The OS one and the iLife one.
    If I reinstall the OS, will it allow me to shut down before that "Welcome" montage and setup assistant,
    or does it go straight into it? I've never installed OS X...

Thanks

4. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

simply do what the other member said.
    install the OS, once its done, command Q after the intro set up video and shut down.

it will rerun the video again for the next user.
    and will go through the setup process.

5. NickM thread starter macrumors 6502

So command Q will shut down the system, and the video/setup will resume on next power up? Sweet. I was hoping it would be that simple.

Thanks a lot, guys. It is appreciated.

6. Buzz Bumble Guest

Why sell it?? It's only been two days, so, from what I've read around here, you can return it to Apple and get the one you want instead (obviously paying the extra money). You will have to pay a re-stocking fee, but trying to sell it second-hand will only lose you money anyway.

7. NickM thread starter macrumors 6502

I would do that, but I didn't buy it from Apple.
    Plans did change and I'm now just returning it to the seller.