Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mercuric Oxide

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
NYC
I hooked up my MP to an HDtv and chose an incompatible resolution. Now the tv says incompatible signal and won't fix upon restart.

I tried resetting pram, but that doesn't work.

Any suggestions?

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
I hooked up my MP to an HDtv and chose an incompatible resolution. Now the tv says incompatible signal and won't fix upon restart.

I tried resetting pram, but that doesn't work.

Any suggestions?

yeah that can happen sometimes as the HDTV doesnt sync right to the graphics card.

try restarting the MacPro and holding down the shift key for a safemode boot.

change the resolution to a working available one, reboot and see if it can display the chosen resolution then select a compatible res.

this happened to me with my hdtv i got and hooke dit up.

goodluck.

Ivor

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2009
Another hint regarding wrong resolution

In case you have two users in one mac and one of them can not change resolution back to normal try coping file named: user/library/preferences/by Host/com.apple.preference.displays.___.plist (where ___ is your Mac specific) from user with correct settings to the user with wrong settings. Then restart your Mac.
Helped for me. MacMini 10.4.11 and Sharp LCD TV 1024x768 native PC resolution.

Meep

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2008
UK
I think this is one area that apple really does fail on, it would be alot better if they included a feature like the one in Windows where if you don't click accept it resorts to the original setting after 15 seconds.

Raygan

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2009
In case you have two users in one mac and one of them can not change resolution back to normal try coping file named: user/library/preferences/by Host/com.apple.preference.displays.___.plist (where ___ is your Mac specific) from user with correct settings to the user with wrong settings. Then restart your Mac.
Helped for me. MacMini 10.4.11 and Sharp LCD TV 1024x768 native PC resolution.

You may also need to copy com.apple.windowserver.___.plist.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.