How to reset wlan location?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by 3Gmatt, Nov 11, 2008.

1. 3Gmatt macrumors newbie

I've done some searching and came up with nothing, but apologies if this is a re-post.

Recently I moved to a location with no mobile signal - no 3G, no 2G, no nothing. Because location services has no cell tower to go off, it uses my wireless router - which it still thinks is at my old address 500km away.

So every time I open Maps or Google Earth and hit the 'my location' button (or whatever it's called) it zooms in on my old address in another state! Very frustrating.

Obviously what I need to do is say to the phone 'Ok, I have moved and this wlan is now located at this address'. So far I have tried re-naming my wireless network and resetting location services and the wifi connection on my phone, to no avail.

Any ideas?

Oh, and first post, so hi :cool:

2. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

Skyhook is the company that provides that location data. It's based off of the lat/log of the access point and it's MAC address, so changing the name of the network won't do anything.

You can try to update your Access Points information here:

http://www.skyhookwireless.com/howitworks/submit_ap.php

3. basaltfd macrumors regular

basaltfd

ive just added my wap to the system here in denver area

4. 3Gmatt thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok I've submitted my wireless lan mac address to skyhook, thanks for the tip. They said to wait a few weeks for the system to update so we'll see then.