Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yippi

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2013
Hi. I have a very large iPhoto library due to importing large resolution photos from my camera recently (stupid, I know). Is there a way to easily reduce the file size of photos AND their variants (changed with Aperture) in the package?

OS 10.9.5
iPhoto 9.5.1

Thanks.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Nothing stupid about taking and keeping high res images. Personally I never take jpg I only shoot raw format and export to jpg as needed. My photo library is has over 100,000 images and takes up several TB of storage. I never try to keep it on my MacBook and it would not fit on standard iMac internal drive. So all my photos, music, documents, and movies sit on an external drive. That way I always have room to import new photos, process them and then move them to the external library drive. I have Time Machine backing up both the Macbook internal drive and the external library drive.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Hi. I have a very large iPhoto library due to importing large resolution photos from my camera recently (stupid, I know). Is there a way to easily reduce the file size of photos AND their variants (changed with Aperture) in the package?

OS 10.9.5
iPhoto 9.5.1

Thanks.
iPhoto/Aperture/Photos are designed to never make changes to the originals (Masters folder in the package) - the point is to preserve them as one would preserve photographic negatives. So no, Apple's provided no way to do this.

By "variants" do you mean the Previews and Thumbnails? Again, no method I know of - the size of those is not dependent on the resolution of the original (at least, that's the way it seems - the Previews in my library are around the same size, regardless of whether I shot the image with my iPhone 4 (5 MP sensor), iPhone 6 (8 MP sensor), or in my good camera (16 MP sensor - 20 MB RAW files).

I'm not sure how many people would consider importing large resolution photos from your camera as "stupid," since one of the points of the way iPhoto/Aperture/Photos does things is to preserve the original. I can see how doing that might be a problem for people with limited HDD/SSD storage. For the future... if you're not planning to preserve the maximum quality that comes out of the camera, it'd be simpler to change the settings in the camera, so that it produces lower resolution images in the first place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.