How to resize Photos on a Macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by user111111, Aug 25, 2007.

1. user111111 macrumors newbie

I haven't worked with Mac for years and I don't know my way around. I'm trying to resize a photo on a Macbook so I can post it online.

I need some step by step directions on how to do that. I'm not even sure what software to use.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well you can export a photo from iPhoto and select the resolution. Alternatively you can use the Save As function in Preview to convert it to a JPEG. There's a slider that relates to the quality of the JPEG and therefore its size in terms of digital space. :)

3. user111111 thread starter macrumors newbie

So, let's say I got a JPG photo that's 2000 x 3000 pixels and 300 dpi resolution. I want to turn it into a 200 x 300 pixels photo.

In iPhoto I can Save it As JPG and use the slider to reduce the pixel dimensions?

4. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

I suggest GraphicConverter. You can test it forever but well worth the price if you manipulate images more than occasionally.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You're getting the two methods confused. Preview gives you the slider, but doesn't change the dimensions of the image, just the quality. iPhoto lets you export with a set resolution. That's probably the option you're after. :)

6. user111111 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for clarifying that.

I'm a bit more smart than I sound, but I'm recovering from an accident and I'm taking some heavy duty pain killers, that's why I requested STEP BY STEP directions.

What menue is export under?
    should I be in the edit mode to export?

And one more thing let's say the photo is 2000 x 3000 and resolution is 72 .... when I finally find the darn export thing, I suppose I should change the resolution to 10 or something much smaller to reduce the size. right?

Because of my situation right now, it's like teaching a 4 year old. so if you could write something like the following string that would be great (this is just an example):

Select:

View => Import => Gif

Thanks a bunch ...

7. user111111 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've seen people who were butchered mercilessly on other sites when they had a request similar to mine, I guess I'm lucky that nobody has started that here yet!

(or maybe the night is still young!)

:)

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

9. user111111 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm gonna keep that in mind for future, but for someone in my condition downloading and installing software is going to complicate things even more. The best solution for me is to learn how to export using iPhoto.

Thanks for the input though.

10. kingpause macrumors newbie

Thank you emptyCup. I've been playing with this program for a few hours now, and I've decided to make this my default photo program instead of iPhoto. iPhoto it seems is good for organizing, but in terms of editing it seems like you have to take four steps to do something that really ought to just take one.

11. j/k/Andy macrumors regular

Use the Export function in iPhoto (File-> Export) to resize the image and save as a jpg, tif or png.

Then you can use Preview to convert it to a gif using Save As (File->Save As...)

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Sorry to hear about your condition mate.

1. Firstly, get your image into iPhoto by dragging it to the iPhoto window or icon.
    2. Now, select the image and Export it from the File menu.
    3. Click Scale Image No Larger Than and select the resolution you want.
    4. Press Export and you should be done.

I hope that is clear enough for you. :)