How to resolve Kernel Panics?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bap3221, Jun 25, 2012.

1. bap3221 macrumors member

I have a 15 inch Macbook Pro A1150. I read some sites online, maybe you guys had experience and know better. Here is what I read:

-I read that it may have to do with the RAM. (I got mine replaced, only 1 though, a couple months back because it was causing my screen dead pixels to spread. Once i replaced it, the dead pixels stopped spreading.)

-Third party extension is causing it? Not sure what that means...

-Hard drive was replaced a couple months ago too so i know its not that.

I tend to use programs like Photoshop, Illustrator, Maya, and Microsoft Word. Sometimes I will have 2 or 3 open at the same time along with the internet. Maybe RAM overload? It is 2 GB. Maybe I need a software update? Its up to date right now. I did notice that when the fans get loud, the kernel panic comes on soon after. I keep my computer on solid surfaces like my desk all the time.

I think it may have to do with the third party extension. I have way too many things that connect to the internet like Dropbox, or UTorrent (which i never remember giving permission). The reason I say is because when I log in the the guest account. I never get the kernel panic. ANY HELP PLEASE? :)

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you get a screen that looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    It's called a kernel panic. If it doesn't happen again, or very infrequently, don't worry about it.
    "You need to restart your computer" (kernel panic) message appears (Mac OS X v10.5, 10.6)
    Mac OS X 10.7 Help: If “You need to restart your computer” appears
    Mac OS X: How to log a kernel panic
    Understanding and Debugging Kernel Panics
    Resolving Kernel Panics

3. bap3221 thread starter macrumors member

it happens every time i use my computer after like 2-3 hours of use. Once I get it the first, ill turn off the computer, restart it and then 5-10 minutesw later it happens again.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you go through the links to troubleshoot the problem?

5. bap3221 thread starter macrumors member

yea they are alittle bit confusing though like the extensions part. Im gonna try the safemode one right now though.

6. bap3221 thread starter macrumors member

okay so I ran it on safe mode and it seemed to be good.

I tend to get alot of spinning wheels when im not in safe mode. And then it eventually leads to the kernel panic.

But under safe mode. I ran Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign, Dreamweaver, After Effects, Autodesk Maya, Microsoft Word, and Powerpoint all at the same time. I worked alittle on 4 on the applications while they were all running and it seemed just fine.

What is the next step? to try the extensions?

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, or you could boot normally and create a new user account to see if you get the same symptoms there.

8. JoJo Zzang macrumors member

I got a kernel panic about a month ago which was annoying to say the least. Couldn't boot in Safe Mode and etc.

Solution? Time Machine. I suggest going back to a time period where you didn't have any problems. Make sure you back up files you need prior to doing so though (just in case). Kernel panics can sometimes be nothing to worry about - maybe a ghost in the system or something you did and aren't aware. Perhaps think about any system/software changes you made?