How to resolve SMC Bypass?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tssguy123, Jan 19, 2013.

1. tssguy123 macrumors newbie

I have a 2010? MacBook Pro that I would like to use. I bought a cheapo ThunderBolt to HDMI adapter that I planned on using with one of the displays for my windows desktop. Here's the backstory. I bought it brand new. It was dropped. It still booted after it was dropped, but the drop caused the display to shear off, basically. I put it away for some months and took it out at one point to use the harddrive in my desktop for a bit of extra space. This meant it had to be formatted. Today, I received the adapter in the mail. I pop the harddrive back into the Mac, pop the CD into the drive, plug the adapter/hdmi cable in, and I press the power button. Nothing. The light on the MagSafe port is VERY VERY dim green. SMC/NVRAM/PRAM resets do nothing. However, if I bypass the SMC by unplugging the MagSafe, holding power, then plugging the MagSafe back in it will boot. Here's the next issue. Since I'm using the SMC bypass mode, no function keys work. I can't turn the volume up, put the laptop to sleep, or anything. Even closing the lid to put it into clamshell mode won't work. HOWEVER, I can see the default Mac background ( http://i.imgur.com/4pCp0zW.jpg ) on the external display. This leads me to believe the MacBook is on the OSX installer, but trying to work on the laptop display. I can move the mouse onto the screen and everything. Before anyone suggests it, I have tried every hotkey for swapping displays/turning on mirroring/clamshell mode etc. Any help here? I'd like to get back into the habit of using OSX, but my wallet isn't quite ready to buy a new MacBook just yet.

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Open the MBP and unplug battery, then plug it in again after you pressed the on button for at least 5 seconds, sometimes this does resolve the smc issues.

3. tssguy123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Already tried that :(

4. tssguy123 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd like to post a little update. I was sitting on my desktop, with the mac turned on and next to me. The sun started shining through my window and I noticed that there was a VERY invisible outline of the OSX Install Screen. I got a flash light and realized that the screen on the macbook seems to still work, but the backlight is broken. I'm currently installing OSX, however, this doesn't really solve much of my problem. It's still in SMC bypass mode (fans are roaring, no function keys work, etc).

5. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Does it power on with the battery disconnected (just the PSU)?