How to Restore a mac after the restart

Discussion in 'macOS' started by djarsalan2006, Nov 20, 2011.

1. djarsalan2006 macrumors regular

hello everyone
    i decided to install the Snow Leopard. put the CD in and decided to restore from a back up, it gave me an option to restart and then go from there. i restarted with the CD inside. its been stucked there for nearly half an hour. whats the best thing to do now ?

2. mainstay macrumors 6502

mainstay

is it frozen?

if so, hold down the left mouse button on reboot, (this will force an eject of the cd), continue booting to.... what?

the original install, the restore or...., ?

Let us know and we'll go from there.

3. djarsalan2006 thread starter macrumors regular

hi
    it was frozen.. i did what you said with the mouse and the cd was ejected and started up normally. what i am trying to do is to do a clean restore, install the OS again and use the back up i have from my macbook on this iMac. but for some reason every time, i put the CD in, go to utilities and choose the restart option, it freezes.
    what do you think i should do at this point ?

4. davidlv macrumors 65816

I don't understand what you are doing, "put the CD in, go to utilities and choose the restart option". Why go to utilities? You want to do a clean install (not restore, that comes after the system is installed, and usually from a Time Machine back-up or another volume, external HD or in your case, the MacBook). So you should insert the DVD (Snow Leopard is a DVD, not a CD) and reboot while holding down the Option key, so you can specify the DVD Install Disk to Boot up from. Then once the computer boots from the DVD, takes a long time, after choosing a language, go to the Utilities menu (up on top) and use Disk Utility to erase the internal HD (Make sure you have a backup first if there is anything on that disk you need!). Then quit Disk Utility and go back to the system install and install Snow Leopard.
    The rest is pretty much automatic, you should be prompted to import your data and you can then specify your Macbook (must be connected to the router).
    Hope that helps.

5. djarsalan2006 thread starter macrumors regular

Hi again,
    Hmm.. I gotchaa. I did what you said about booting up with the DVD and holding the option key, then it gave me two options, one was to run the DVD and the other was to boot up the computer. I chose the DVD, its stucked on the apple logo again. It's been there for about half an hour maybe. Maybe more. Is it normal ? How long does it usually take ?

6. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Try installing Snow Leopard from the disc, and then use Migration Assistant to transfer everything from your backup.