How to restore a new MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jorg1312, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Jorg1312 macrumors member

Jorg1312

I just ordered the new non retina MacBook pro.
    Once it gets here I will replace the hard drives with bigger and faster hard drives.

I've seen that it comes with iLife and obviously Lion.
    How can I get those onto the new hard drives? Will they come on DVDs?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Just use Carbon Copy Cloner to make a bootable clone of your internal drive to an external, then swap the drives.

3. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

No dvd's, no cd's, no memory stick. You'll need to download lion recovery on a USB flash drive and restart from that. I believe holding the option key. It works great and magically everything will be back in place. Did I'd forget to mention you need an Internet connection?
    http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1433

4. blevins321 macrumors 68030

CCC will work. Alternately you can use the Internet booting feature to reinstall a fresh copy of Lion from Apple onto the drives. Then upon boot iLife will be available for download free from the App Store.

5. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Backup to time machine on a usb disk, plug in to new machine, boot into time machine disk, restore.

6. Mags88 macrumors newbie

They should be linked to your apple ID in the app store?

7. Jorg1312 thread starter macrumors member

Jorg1312

I know this sounds mad but I don't trust carbon copy over a brand new install. I think this goes back to my PC days. It's probably just me being silly though.

So basically for it to show up in my app store I have to first register the MacBook and enter my Apple ID before I reinstall it, right?

I have a USB stick with Lion already from my other MacBook so could use that for the OS but obviously still need iLife back.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Pretty much. CCC makes bootable copies of drives (which TM can't do), is very reliable and has an excellent reputation. I trust it completely for all backups.

9. Jorg1312 thread starter macrumors member

Jorg1312

I will build 2 HDDs into the MacBook pro. Can ccc backup both at the same time? Might be a great solution for backups in the future.
    How long does a 1TB backup take?

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You'll probably want to back up one at a time, but it can back up both. As for time, that depends on the speed of the drives and connection involved, as well as how much actual data is being backed up. Also, whether it's an initial full backup or an incremental backup.

11. Jorg1312 thread starter macrumors member

Jorg1312

Ah, so CCC is smart like TM and only backs up the new files?
    In that case it might indeed be a much better option than TM.

Have you ever done a full OS restore from CCC?

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes. You can also simply boot from the backup drive, so a restore can be as quick and easy as booting up.

13. Jorg1312 thread starter macrumors member

Jorg1312

Awesome. I think I'll switch from TM to CCC then. Thanks for the tip.

14. mageus macrumors newbie

The new CCC also clones the Recovery partition. When you choose to clone the stock drive to the new drive, be sure to select this option. It's enabled by default, but just double check it.