How to restore a secure note?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by frannbug, Jun 9, 2010.

1. frannbug macrumors member

I just opened my Keychain and discovered to my horror that the secure note I keep all my important data on has gone blank - last modified yesterday morning. And yes, I did click the little box and enter my password. Other secure notes are working perfectly fine, just this one isn't - with everything I need to function on it!

I have been making Time Machine backups but I've no idea where this note might be stored and how to restore it as it's not a distinct document, just data within the Keychain application. Any help, anyone, please?

2. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Secure notes are stored in your Login Keychain.

This is located at:

~/Library/Keychains/login.keychain

This is where you would look in Time Machine to restore your keychain to a previous version with the secure note.

3. frannbug thread starter macrumors member

4. frannbug thread starter macrumors member

Should this keep on and on happening?

To be honest, I've had to allow the info in this thread to save my data so many times in the last year it's becoming a major worry. I'm now backing up my private data in other non secure places as I'm worried that the only thing that stands between me and total meltdown is the functioning of my Time Machine drive.

Anyone have any clues as to what is periodically wiping my secure note? Is it a known problem? My whole MBPro is running hideously slowly some of the time, even though I've got rid of iAntivirus and Clamxav, if that's any clue.