How to restore backed-up photos

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by WestofYouLB, Dec 28, 2015.

1. WestofYouLB macrumors member

WestofYouLB

I have asked this twice now, and somehow it appears that nobody else knows, either. Sort of odd.

Anyway, I need to find out if my wife's photos and videos are now backed up somewhere. When I went to the Genius Bar, they said they were backed up, but nowhere can I find a short and plain statement telling me how to recover backed up matter. Or where it is located.

Thanks in advance.

2. greywolfe macrumors member

greywolfe

Check your iCloud account on line to see if they're there.

3. WestofYouLB thread starter macrumors member

WestofYouLB

Thanks for the input. I apologize, but I just don't know how to do that.

4. WestofYouLB thread starter macrumors member

WestofYouLB

Thanks for the reply. I'm afraid I'm really panicked now. One of the paragraphs says that photos on the iCloud will only be kept there if they're younger than 30 days. Is this true? Then my wife's photos have gone. And what good is a backup if it only lasts 30 days? I'm sure I misunderstood.

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

No, I think what you read is that Deleted photos are still retrievable for 30 days, then are permanently removed.
    A backup should be there until you delete the backup.
    The only pictures that might be gone would be any that you put in the trash (deleted) in your Photo library. The library is fully accessible. Pictures in the trash (because you choose to delete them, not keep them) remain available as deleted photos, where you can retrieve them from Deleted photos for up to 30 days. Doesn't affect your other pictures that are on iCloud, and not "deleted".

6. WestofYouLB thread starter macrumors member

WestofYouLB

So glad to read this. Thanks very much. Now to see if I can find the photos.

7. WestofYouLB thread starter macrumors member

WestofYouLB

OK. Chatted with somebody at Apple. The pictures are gone. The Genius Bar person should have told me to back up before she reset my wife's iPad. Now she's pretty sad.

8. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

The Genius Bar is not full of geniuses. Sorry to hear you lost your photos.

9. EdwardSmith36 macrumors regular

If you have correctly restored your iOS device from iCloud then it is easy for you to get all your stuff back.

10. WestofYouLB thread starter macrumors member

WestofYouLB

Thanks, but I'm told in an Apple chat that my pictures are gone. The girl at the Genius Bar told me I had a recent backup but I suspect she misread the date. Anyway, my wife is pretty down about it, as any of us would be.

Don.

11. PattyMc macrumors regular

PattyMc

Have you personally checked your backups on ICloud to see what the last backup dates were available? I would not be satisfied until I checked myself, and do it soon, you may be able to retrieve her photos.

12. Goatllama macrumors 6502a

Goatllama

If you sign into iCloud.com and go to photos, anything in there? What do you see on the device when you go to Settings > iCloud > Storage? Any backups?

13. WestofYouLB thread starter macrumors member

WestofYouLB

Thanks for replying. The most recent backup date is after the session at the Genius Bar. It is the only backup shown.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 14, 2016 ---
    I see one backup, and it is after the date when I was at the Apple Store.