How to restore from iCloud on newly set up iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Marcellus, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Marcellus macrumors member

Marcellus

I just bought a new iPad Air 2, and during the set up, when I tried to restore the data from my old iPad mini to the new iPad, it would not work because the new iPad was running IOS 8.3 and I needed 8.4. So I just went ahead and set up the new iPad and updated the IOS software to 8.4. Now I do not see a way to restore the old data from iCloud from my old iPad mini. I did a back up just before powering on the new iPad, so it's all on iCloud, but none of my photos, emails, notes, etc. are on my new iPad. Question: How do I do a restore on a newly set up iPad Air 2? Do I need to reset the iPad, i.e., reset all settings, or erase all content and settings? And start all over as if I was just setting up the new iPad? Thank you.

2. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Easiest way is to connect it to your computer, go to iTunes and restore as new. You can then opt to restore from iCloud.

3. Marcellus thread starter macrumors member

Marcellus

Thank you, but I have never done a restore using iTunes with my old iPad. Will I need to do that first by connecting the old iPad to iTunes?

4. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

No, just the new iPad. Cause all you want to do is restore.

5. Marcellus thread starter macrumors member

Marcellus

Problem was solved. I ended up chatting with Apple Support online, and they had me do an erase of all content and settings, and set up the iPad from scratch. I was then able to restore everything with iCloud. Thank you for your advice.