how to restore from Time Machine?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by LeandrodaFL, Dec 25, 2011.

1. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

I have a Mac Mini 2010 (with optical drive). My ssd arrived today, and Im gonna replace my hard drive.

I already have a time machine backup to a firewire external drive.

Now, after I phisically instal the SSD, how do I format the drive and restore my files?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

A faster method would be to use Carbon Copy Cloner to create a bootable clone of your internal to the external, then swap the drives and boot up. Otherwise, you'll have to install the OS on the new drive first, then restore from the TM backup.

3. LeandrodaFL thread starter macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

I dont have a way of externally install the ssd to the macmini, so Im going with time machine bacukps. It doesnt appear to be that dificult, the hardest part will be phisically changing the drives

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I understand you probably want to do this immediately, but you could do it with an external drive enclosure, which you may still want, to put your old internal drive in, making it an external drive, for backups or additional storage.

5. Fishrrman macrumors G4

"I dont have a way of externally install the ssd to the macmini, so Im going with time machine bacukps."

Get one of these and you will "have the way":
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=usb+sata+dock&x=0&y=0
    (many items shown, they all work the same, pick one you like that's cheap)

Use the USB/SATA dock, your bare drive, and CarbonCopyCloner to "build" your new drive and TEST IT before you install it. That way, you'll know it works before you do the swap.

Be sure to TEST BOOT it (you can do that from the dock). Invoke the startup manager at boot time to do this (reboot, hold down the option key as soon as you hear the startup sound, and KEEP HOLDING IT DOWN).

6. LeandrodaFL thread starter macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

Thansk guys, but I already performed thw swap and Im currently restoring from a Time Machine backup. Thas the whole point it exists. I will later post a review of the new Hard drive, it wasnt exactly a SSD as I posted, it was the seagate momentus xt 750GB.