How to Restore iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by lugesm, Aug 29, 2011.

1. lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

When I bought the iPhone 4 I kept my old 3G even though it had no SIM card. It could be used as an iPod "Touch" and it would work with my email and Internet with my wireless in my home.

Today I decided to sell this phone (maybe on eBay), so I plugged it into my iMac, brought up iTunes, and did a "restore" on the phone. I expected this process to erase my personal data and the optional apps I had downloaded.

Sadly, I discovered that this process not only erased my personal data, it erased EVERYTHING and now it only allows emergency calls with no access to the other basic iPhone functions and apps.

Is there a way that I can recover the basic (not optional) apps and utilities on this phone without restoring my personal data?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. jackhdev macrumors 6502

Are you talking about the basic apps such as Safari, Settings, Maps, etc? It wouldn't make sense that they are not put back on, as they are pretty much part of iOS itself. Are you sure you're not confusing the activation screen with the lock screen? All I can say is back up the iPhone and restore it again. Put it in recovery mode if necessary.