How to restore iPhone without download new firmware?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by team.realtree, Jul 12, 2011.

1. team.realtree macrumors newbie

I have a bricked iphone 4. It is jail broken and when I did the erase all settings and content it now freezes at the apple logo. I did the little hold this and that to get itunes to recognize it but itunes wants to restore it and update to the newest firmware. It starts a download for 4.3.3 which is 666mb. I can't download a file that big on this wifi network I use...don't ask.

Anyways when I got my phone new it was in recovery mode and somewhere down the line I know I have downloaded a firmware file through itunes to update, but when I find the itunes firmware folder on my PC it is empty.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

2. team.realtree thread starter macrumors newbie

I should add I currently have 4.2.1 firmware. Please someone help me! I don't want to spend 2 hours in a super 8 parking lot downloading a huge file!!!

3. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Unfortunately, you're not supposed to 'Erase All Content and Settings' on a jailbroken iPhone. You will need to perform a restore. :eek:

This is why I downloaded most of the IPSWs for 3G, 3Gs and iPhone 4 so that I have them for quick restoring. :D

4. team.realtree thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for responding. Yes I now know that is what cause it to "brick". But really my question is why can't I find IPSW files that I have updated with in the past through itunes? I know I am not running the firmware I had when I took it out the box...does itunes delete them automatically after the update or something?

5. team.realtree thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyways I spent the evening in a hotel parking lot downloading the file :rolleyes:

All is good now. Lesson to be learnt DON`T ERASE ALL CONTENT IF JAIL BROKEN.

Case closed-

6. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I believe the IPSW are hidden or simply not kept.

7. applemessiah macrumors member

the ipsw's are kept in a folder somewhere on computer. Only way i could find it was to use the SEARCH option throught start menu (on PC) and make sure to click hidden folders under advanced options and search '.ipsw'

8. unknownnimus macrumors newbie

Where is itunes firmware?

firmware address on pc is :
    c:\users\your name\appdata\roaming\applecomputer\itunes\iphonsoftwareupdate\
    i hope itunes didn't automatically deleted this file, otherwise may be you can find them in recycle bin