How to restore iPod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by thesdx, Jan 15, 2008.

1. thesdx macrumors 6502a

I've jailbroken my iPod touch, but now I'd like to get it back to the way it was so I can install the $20 upgrade. How would I go about restoring it without bricking it?

2. hecks macrumors regular

Foolish, foolish child.

3. thesdx thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, there's a couple reasons why I'd like to restore:

1. The SDK is coming out soon, and I want to be able to take full advantage of it.
    2. My iTouch has been acting weird lately and I've been wanting to restore it for a while now
    3. There's no Locate Me, rearranging icons (at least as cool as Apple's rendition), or lyrics support in a jailbroken iPod.

4. i0Nic macrumors 65816

I want to do the same thing... what's the best way?

cheers

5. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

the best way is to have iTunes 7.5 to do the restore as it would be much easier for you to do.

if you have 7.5 depending on which version you want to restore to (either doesn't matter it wont make a difference)

you have 1.1.1: http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite...70927.p23dD/iPod1,1_1.1.1_3A110a_Restore.ipsw
    or 1.1.2: http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite...071107.9g3DF/iPod1,1_1.1.2_3B48b_Restore.ipsw

save either of these to a known place on your pc or mac and in iTunes (if in windows) hold the shift key, if using a mac hold the options key then press restore when your ipod is in recovery mode.

If using Safari to download make sure it is NOT set to open files after download

6. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

Where do you get the idea of bricking from?!?!

No one has bricked a Touch, and there is no known way to brick one, short of cracking it open and cutting some things.

The best way would be to restore using iTunes, and update to 1.1.3, then purchase the Apps.

7. winkchrisian macrumors newbie

That is NOT true!

That is absolutly not true. I have a bricked ipod touch 2g that is stuck in restore mode and wont connect to itunes. So I am very pissed about it and I am taking it to the apple store to cover it. Will they cover it?

8. Fa7mac macrumors regular

Fa7mac

Did they cover it?