How to restore jailbroken iPhone 3GS?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Goldinboy17, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

"The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for the requested build."

I keep getting that error message when I try to restore my iPhone 3GS. Any help guys? Thanks a ton.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It's because you're trying to restore to a firmware that Apple isn't signing anymore. Example: You are trying to restore you iPhone 3Gs to 3.0.1. Apple is not signing for that firmware anymore. Thus, you cannot restore to it.

You can get around this by doing the hosts file change to point iTunes to Cydia and it's signing cache. This only works if you have the signed parts on file with Cydia.

I think you can still restore to 3.1.3 and 4.0 at this time.

3. Goldinboy17 thread starter macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

I have 3.1.3, could you please elaborate a bit more? It's not a must for me to restore it, only something I would prefer. I'm selling my phone on eBay, and would like to restore it just for the heck of it. Do you think it's neccessary, or will syncing it with a new computer suffice (deletes all music, apps, pics, etc) suffice? Thanks!

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Do you know if you are trying to restore back to 3.1.3. If you are certain that is the firmware you are trying to get then it might be that Apple has stopped signing it.

If you're reselling it then I would suggest putting 4.0 on it. Note: 4.0 cannot be jailbroken at this point in time. Yes, a jailbreak does exist. But it has not been released.

5. Goldinboy17 thread starter macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

I am completely certain it is 3.1.3. I'm given the option to upgrade to 4.0, but that's it. I'll just leave it as is and delete everything on it. The phone works fine, but I would feel safer with a restore.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Then I would suggest restoring it to 4.0. That is unless you want to keep the jailbreak for the future purchaser.

7. Goldinboy17 thread starter macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

I would like to do that. They plan on using it on T-Mobile, so I best give them an unlocked iPhone. I appreciate the help you've given me though, thanks!