Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bugeyeblue

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
I have the game flappy bird installed. I don't really care about it but it seems like people are paying a lot for iPhones with that game installed. It has been removed from the App Store. Is there any way to restore the iPhone without losing an app that isn't on the App Store anymore? I want to make some money on this and buy another phone.

tateu

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2012
I can't find info on a single confirmed purchase anywhere. The only thing I can find are rumors and people putting them up for auction and currently, they all have 0 bids: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trk...hone+flappy+bird+installed&_sacat=0&_from=R40. It's also against eBay policy to sell an unwiped device so they have been active in taking down listing such as these.

Anything you installed via iTunes on your computer or transferred from your iPhone to itunes via "transfer purchases" will still be available to install on any device associated with the Apple ID used to purcahse the app. iTunes saves all installed apps as ipa files in it's directory. On WinXP that is C:\Documents and Settings\USerName\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Mobile Applications\

I keep track of files in this folder and keep backup copies of all installed apps and their various versions so I can always go back and install an app, even a previous version of an app.

Bugeyeblue

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
It's also against eBay policy to sell an unwiped device so they have been active in taking down listing such as these.

Anything you installed via iTunes on your computer or transferred from your iPhone to itunes via "transfer purchases" will still be available to install on any device associated with the Apple ID used to purcahse the app. iTunes saves all installed apps as ipa files in it's directory. On WinXP that is C:\Documents and Settings\USerName\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Mobile Applications\

I keep track of files in this folder and keep backup copies of all installed apps and their various versions so I can always go back and install an app, even a previous version of an app.

I'm selling on craigslist so I'm not worried about eBay rules. Thanks for the info either way.

What if I haven't backed up my apps before installing them on my phone? Can I just back up now and restore and include apps in the restore process?

tateu

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2012
I don't know. Did you install the app originally through iTunes? If yes, then the ipa file is already on your computer. If no, you could try connecting your iPhone to iTunes and choosing "transfer purchases." That might copy it as an ipa file to the Itunes app directory on your computer.

I have not tried it, but iTools has an option to back up an installed app to an ipa file.

Bugeyeblue

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
I don't know. Did you install the app originally through iTunes? If yes, then the ipa file is already on your computer. If no, you could try connecting your iPhone to iTunes and choosing "transfer purchases." That might copy it as an ipa file to the Itunes app directory on your computer.

I have not tried it, but iTools has an option to back up an installed app to an ipa file.

Awesome, thanks for the info and help. Is iTools a Mac program? I'm using windows... I'll have to try the transfer purchases and see if it copies over.

tateu

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2012
I use iTools on Windows, I think it might have a Mac version.

Yes, if you have the ipa file and it is from your apple ID account you will always be able to reinstall it, even if it is no longer available in the App Store.

Bugeyeblue

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
I use iTools on Windows, I think it might have a Mac version.

Yes, if you have the ipa file and it is from your apple ID account you will always be able to reinstall it, even if it is no longer available in the App Store.

Great, thanks for all the help. So after I back up, and before I wipe and restore, I'll need to check at the location you put in your first response?

tateu

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2012
Next time you connect to iTunes, right click on your device in the iTunes window and choose "transfer purchases." After you do this, all of the apps currently installed in your device should now be available in your iTunes library. You can confirm this by going to the apps section of the library, searching for Flappy Bird, right clicking on it and choosing "show in windows Explorer." If the ipa file is there, it should open Windows Explorer. If not, you should get an error message.

As long as you have that ipa file in your iTunes library, you can always reinstall it.

Am3r1ca16

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
New York City
I'm selling on craigslist so I'm not worried about eBay rules. Thanks for the info either way.

What if I haven't backed up my apps before installing them on my phone? Can I just back up now and restore and include apps in the restore process?

LOL no one is going to be stupid enough to pay big bucks just because your iphone has "flappy birds" in it.

And if someone does decide to "pay big bucks" for it i'd be worried/suspicious about that person.

Bugeyeblue

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
LOL no one is going to be stupid enough to pay big bucks just because your iphone has "flappy birds" in it.

And if someone does decide to "pay big bucks" for it i'd be worried/suspicious about that person.

Hey thanks for the help. For 2 minutes of time to create a craigslist ad, why not try? Market value is what people are willing to pay. If it's hyped up enough, it could happen. If not, I spent 2 minutes of time creating an ad that I would've spent doing something else online anyway.

yukhalilsel

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2014
The Netherlands
How to: restore jailbroken iPhone without losing apps

You don't need to backup apps on your computer to install it back when you have purchased another phone. All apps purchased in appstore will be available for download anytime you need to. Just tap the updates tab and "Purchased" section. You will see all apps downloaded with that specific account since day 1. And all of them will be downloadable.

Bugeyeblue

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
You don't need to backup apps on your computer to install it back when you have purchased another phone. All apps purchased in appstore will be available for download anytime you need to. Just tap the updates tab and "Purchased" section. You will see all apps downloaded with that specific account since day 1. And all of them will be downloadable.

But do the apps that don't exist on the App Store still show up and download? I seriously doubt that they would.

Teebaro

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2011
The only bad part of all this is that in order for you to sell the phone with a functional Flappy Bird App, you also have to sell them your Apple ID. As soon as they log out of your account on the iPhone, all of the apps become disabled and he will have to erase them all.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
The only bad part of all this is that in order for you to sell the phone with a functional Flappy Bird App, you also have to sell them your Apple ID. As soon as they log out of your account on the iPhone, all of the apps become disabled and he will have to erase them all.

Jailbreak and install a cracked version of it, ultimately this is why phones with it aren't worth any more anyway.

Bugeyeblue

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
Ya, you're right. I didn't think about that in the beginning. I took off the ad anyway. Too many people asking mundane questions, and nobody is going to pay extra for that game. It was just an experiment. But it's been interesting finding out about these ways to keep apps backed up for personal use.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
i believe android doesn't even need apps to be signed, just check the box to install from outside sources, download the .apk and install flappy birds on allllllllll your devices =D

yukhalilsel

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2014
The Netherlands
How to: restore jailbroken iPhone without losing apps

But do the apps that don't exist on the App Store still show up and download? I seriously doubt that they would.

Yep, they are still in the Purchased section in Appstore, whether or not they are in the appstore.

For example: i deleted flappy bird after the programmer deleted it from appstore. Till now i'm stil able to install it back from the purchased section.

Apps don't get disabled once you log out of your account. I really don't understand why you would think this.

I installed Tomtom Europe on my fathers idevice with my account and logged out right after that. Now, a year later, my father is still using the app, without ever knowing my account info.

Last edited:

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Yep, they are still in the Purchased section in Appstore, whether or not they are in the appstore.

For example: i deleted flappy bird after the programmer deleted it from appstore. Till now i'm stil able to install it back from the purchased section.

Apps don't get disabled once you log out of your account. I really don't understand why you would think this.

I installed Tomtom Europe on my fathers idevice with my account and loggen out right after that. Now, a year later, my father is still using the app, without ever knowing my account info.

Apps do get disabled if you sync it with a computer that uses a different Apple ID (or the Apple ID used isn't authorized on that computer) as far as I'm aware

It seems to be a rare problem but it has happened to me once, that was back in iOS 3 or iOS 4 on my iPod touch 2nd gen though so things may have changed since then

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.