How to restore Microsoft Office 2008 from Time Machine?...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by eurotrack, Dec 26, 2010.

1. eurotrack macrumors newbie

Dec 26, 2010
    Hi friends,

Hope this post finds all of you well.

I have a 13" MacBook that I back up with an external hard drive via Time Machine. I just purchased Microsoft Office 2011 and in a fit of joy deleted Microsoft Office 2008.

Unfortunately, my work's antiquated e-mail system is not compatible with Outlook 2011. That means I need to stay with Entourage 2008. I went into Time Machine and tried to restore the "Microsoft Office 2008" folder. A small box appears and says "Preparing to copy 1,345 files," and then I get the following error: "The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have permission to access some of the items."

Now, I am the only admin on the computer and am pretty sure none of the files is locked! I made sure they were "Read and Write." How can I get around that? MO 2008 was given to me by a colleague and I have no idea where the serials are.

Could you geniuses please help me?

All the best,

2. eurotrack thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 26, 2010

I used Migration Assistant to restore Entourage from my Time Machine external hard drive. I selected "Applications" and nothing else and it restored MSO 2008 perfectly.

What luck--now I can work!