How To Restore To New iPad With Lower IOS Ver?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Ultrafire88, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Ultrafire88 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I am new here. I tried to google for an answer to my prob but didn't manage to find one so I hope I will be able to get some advice by posting here.

Background:-

I previously owned a JB'ed iPad1 IOS 4.3.1. A few days ago, because of a usb connectivity prob, I sent it in under the wrty. Today I was given a replacement iPad1. The prob is, for some reason, it came with the out-dated IOS 3.2 which must have been pre-activated by the service centre.

My Issue:-

Will I be able to restore from my backup such that my new iPad will be a mirror image (with exceptions for the JB) of my old iPad with IOS 4.3.1? I understand that any JB apps will disappear and am ok with that

Or will I be forced to update the IOS to 4.3.2 (whch is not desirable since there is no JB for this ver yet)?

Or should I update the IOS on my new iPad to 4.3.1 first (I have the IPSW) and then do the restoration from the backup?

Hope to get some advice from anyone. Many thanks in advance.

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Unfortunately, your only choices are to stay at 3.2 or update to 4.3.2. Apple is no longer allowing 4.3.1 to be installed. There's a way to get around this restriction, but to do so you need to have SHSH saved, and since you just got your replacement device from Apple, there wouldn't be any SHSH saved for it.

To replicate your old iPad's settings onto the replacement iPad, you restore from the old iPad's backup. Right click on the iPad icon on the left-hand column in iTunes, and you'll see a menu option saying "restore form bakcup." However, backups from newer firmware sometimes don't work on older firmware, so you might need to update to 4.3.2 in order to restore from your old iPad's backup.

Personally, I'd update and wait for a JB for 4.3.2, hopefully it won't take too long for it to come out.

3. Ultrafire88 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the quick response, Night Spring.

You were right - the only choices are to stay at 3.2 or update to 4.3.2.

However, iTunes would not let me restore from my 4.3.1 backup unless I update to 4.3.2. I guess that's logical since the newer 4.3.1 ver would have certain features (like folders) that are not supported by the older 3.2 ver hence the need to update first.

On that basis, I decided to take your advice and update to 4.3.2. Was stumped for a while when I encountered a "3194 error" but later was told by the service centre that it could be caused by Apple's server being shut-down (seems it happens on Sundays in particular). All's resolved now and I am currently doing the restore from my back-up.

Thanks again for the help! Now for the hopefully not-too-long wait for the untethered jb!