How to Restore to Snow Leopard from Lion?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Arcadia310, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Arcadia310 macrumors regular

After installing Lion on my 2010 C2D MBP it has become extremely sluggish to the point of frustration. Is it possible to restore to a point just before I installed Lion? I haven't been using Time Machine but I don't want to lose all of my data and programs. Thanks.

2. WickedPuddin macrumors member

Have you tried your DVD that came with your mac?

3. Arcadia310 thread starter macrumors regular

Not yet. Again, I don't want to lose all of my current programs/files and have to reinstall all of them. Especially my Microsoft Office suite as it only has a certain number of installs until it doesn't work anymore.

4. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

How much RAM do you have? I am running Lion on a 2007 MBP.... I think you will have to do a clean install of snow leopard. Add more ram.

5. WickedPuddin macrumors member

You could make a time machine back up and reinstall sl with your DVD.

6. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

First do a complete TM backup of your Lion drive so if something goes wrong you can restore it and not lose all your data.
    Install SL on an external drive, use Migration assistant to move your stuff, when you have everything - clone the external drive to your MBP. This assumes Migration Assistant will go from Lion to SL.

7. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

MS is pretty good about giving you a new serial if your old one stops working - I've done that with them when Parallels updates made it think I had a new system and wouldn't activate.

8. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

You can do this. It's time consuming but it is done before (I've tried it).

1. Back up with Time Machine. Your current machine right now w/ Lion Installed.

2. Format/Install Snow Leopard

3. Use Migration Assistant to move over your user account and applications from Time Machine.

4. You'll notice that Migration Assistant moved over some applications which are Lion only such as Address Book, System Preferences, etc.

5. Reinstall Snow Leopard w/o Formatting. Just put the disk in; click Install

6. Congratulations, you have Snow Leopard again. Run updates and check all your applications are still running properly.

9. Arcadia310 thread starter macrumors regular

Do I need an external hard drive to use Time Machine, or is there a way to partition the onboard hard drive for Time Machine?

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

Don't even think of trying to partition the boot disk for Time Machine.
    Go buy a cheap 1TB external and partition it to 2 partitions and use one for time machine and the other for a clone from SuperDuper or CCC.

I always do a clone copy before a major update.

11. mkflyfish, Mar 27, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2012

mkflyfish macrumors member

mkflyfish

OK, I've done this, with an additional step of cloning lion to external hard drive.

Everything seemed to go smoothly, except for the one small problem that none of the user passwords work for snow leopard !!

I'm now running on the external clone. Any ideas on how to fix this ? Can I copy the passwords from lion clone to Snow ?

thanks,
    Michael

12. mkflyfish macrumors member

mkflyfish

Fixed Passwords - booted from SL install disk, and used reset password utility. Yeah!

Michael

13. The Mercurian macrumors 65816