How to restore to unsigned firmware?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Jimmy Guphanti, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Jimmy Guphanti macrumors 6502

I am currently in possession of an iPhone 4 Verizon CDMA running 4.2.8 jailbroken. For undisclosed reasons I am going to restore it to 4.2.10 which is the latest firmware for this iPhone. Later on, I will need to downgrade it to 4.2.8 to jailbreak it. What steps to I need to take before I restore it such as backing up certain "blobs" or what ever they are so that I can downgrade easily at a later date. As much detail as possible since I am not exactly a Steve Jobs or a comex when it comes to these things.

2. sbddude macrumors 6502a

use tiny umbrella or cydia to check if you have blobs for 4.2.8 saved. If you don't I reccomend you leave it as-is as you won't be able to downgrade.

3. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

If you didn't jailbreak 4.2.8 when it was still being signed, you don't have blobs. What you are planning on doing simply does not make any sense. Getting rid of your jailbreak, upgrading, and downgrading again just to re-jailbreak just doesn't seem logical, unless you're trying to do something shady :)confused:).

Once you upgade to 4.2.10, you will not be able to downgrade without blobs.

There is one solution for Windows users called iFaith but it's been known to lead to recovery loops, and I don't trust it.

4. sbddude macrumors 6502a

The one thing I can think of that would explain what you are trying to do is that you are going to the apple store for service and you don't want it jailbroken. Is that the case?

5. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

'Undisclosed reasons' almost makes it sounds like he's doing something that may make us not want to help him. :D

6. Jimmy Guphanti thread starter macrumors 6502

I do have the SHSH blobs backed up in tiny umbrella. The reason is that I am swapping phones with a friend who wants it to be not jailbroken and restore/ wiped clean, and if in the event we swap back, I need to have jailbreak tethering and all of the other goodies.

7. labman macrumors 604

labman

8. Jimmy Guphanti thread starter macrumors 6502