How to restrict 3g network internet on iphone 3g ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Andriivarko, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Andriivarko macrumors newbie

Hello everybody! I have an iphone 3g and att "pay as you go" prepaid simcard. As you know, iphone 3g is a totally multimedia device which connects to the internet using 3g network without asking about that. So my iphone spended all $15 on my prepaid simcard in couple of hours while updating weather, mail and stuff. I called att cus.support and explained them my situation, they credited that money back...but thats not the point. A cus.support guy told me that there is no way to restrict iphone using 3g internet. But what do you think about that? Maybe there is existing a some type of application for iphone that could restrict automatic connection to the 3g internet? Or it is impossible and i need to buy another phone for my "pay as you go"?
    P.S.: I need to leave an ability to use internet through wifi access point.
    P.S.S.: Tried to shut off 3g mode in iphone menu, but it didnt helped.

Looking forward for your replies! Thanks!!!!!

2. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

Why does turning 3G off not help? Do you mean it then connects to edge, and sucks up you money just slower? So you don't want to just turn off 3G, you just want to turn off cell-network data?

I think Jailbreak.

I went with T-mobile because of AT&Ts prepaid data prices- it was pointless to even be able to go online with that.

3. dave006 Contributor

dave006

You could Jailbroke / Unlock your iPhone as this will allow you to have more control over the data features.

Another option is to put your SIM into another phone, call Customer Care to have them update your account to put this phone on your account. They will ask for the IMEI of this phone. Now ask the rep to put a WIX Block on your line, this will prevent any data access over 3G or EDGE.

Now you can put your SIM back into the iPhone 3G and you will be all set, you will still be able to use WiFi and all of the other features.

Dave

4. Andriivarko thread starter macrumors newbie

Let me ask you something. Will this screw up the second phone? If i will borrow 2nd phone from my roommate, would he be able to keep using his phone with his own sim card after i will hook up his phone's imei with my att sim? And why i need to call from 2nd phone? Why i can't just call cust.rep from iphone?
    Also, what is the WIX Block? This will rectrict 3g internet, thats it? No more hidden issues?
    Also, would i be able to make phone calls after all this operations? %)
    Thank you in advance!!!!!

5. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

www.unlockit.co.nz

This just solves your problem, access the site from the safari browser on your iPhone and it will change your APN address to a fake one so you can't access data. You can remove anytime you want.

6. Andriivarko thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for reply... but would i be able fo use wi-fi after that?

7. KingHuds macrumors 6502

8. trusedco macrumors newbie

Hi

I just tried this, any updates on the workability of changing APN? I can still access the internet/wifi through safari and all, do you guys know if at&t will charge me for this?

Any tips on how to get your money back from at&t after losing minutes to medianet?- I tried but to no avail.

9. trusedco macrumors newbie

Would fetch new data drain minutes if APN is changed?

10. trusedco macrumors newbie

would downloading applications use up pay as you go minutes?

11. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

If you've changed the APN such that you can't access the internet without WiFi then your carrier shouldn't charge you for any data usage.

12. dave006 Contributor

dave006

First, I will assume that you mean from the Apple App Store.

Yes if you are using 3G data. If you don't want to use 3G data then have data blocked on your line as I posted above. Think WIX Block....:)

No if you are using WiFi. Easy way to test is to put the iPhone 3G in Airplane mode and then enable WiFi and download an App

Dave

13. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

You're calling from the other phone because AT&T won't put a block in on an iPhone, at least not without some major convincing. On a regular phone it's a ten second conversation.

The block applies to your SIM not to his phone. The phone is identified to AT&T by it's SIM, so if his SIM is in it then his regular data privileges apply.

A WIX block will block all data connections via the cellular network. You will not be able to use any data unless it is via wifi.

And honestly, if you want SOME cellular data but not all, get a different phone. The iPhone is not designed for small amounts of data, and you're going to have a headache every month trying to monitor what it has downloaded thus far. If you're looking to use some data and monitor it closely, buy a windows mobile phone and install a program like SPB monitor to track your data/minutes usage.

14. dave006 Contributor

dave006

No and you don't really even need to borrowed cell phone but you need to provide the IMEI from a non-iPhone and if you don't know what it is, then it is just easier to put your SIM into another "non-iPhone" and call Customer Care. Just tell the rep that you want to put block all data access from your phone number (line of service). The rep will as for your IMEI of the phone you are using or they will see it on the network if you have had it borrowed phone on for a few minutes.

Once the WIX Block is on you line, then put your SIM back into your iPhone and try to access Google with WiFi off and it should not work!:)

Note: Nothing will happen to your friends phone there will be no changes made to his line, SIM or their device.

Education Step: Everytime you turn on your iPhone with a valid SIM installed, it will attempt to connect to the AT&T cell network. Your phone reports the SIM ID and the IMEI of the phone. So if you have your SIM in your iPhone and you call Customer Care, since the iPhone data plan is required by AT&T they will not remove the data plan or put a WIX Block on your line.

Please Note: If you do not have an iPhone data plan then you will not have access to Visual Voicemail. You will only have access to normal voicemail. Which in your case should not be a problem since you are using a GoPhone SIM and are not on an iPhone rate plan.:)