How to restrict access to mounted drive to an administrator only?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ckelly1uk, Jan 16, 2009.

1. ckelly1uk macrumors newbie

I have an external drive mounted via firewire and formatted with HFS.

I would like this drive to be accessible by an administrator, say admin, only and have used Finder to set permissions. So the user and group for the /Volume/<drive> is admin:admin.

I have created a standard user, say user. However I find that when the standard user logs in he can access the volume and the rights for the drive become user:user instead of admin:admin, so that drive is accessible by any login user no matter what permissions I set as an administrator.

How can this be solved? Thanks in advance for any help.

2. justyjust macrumors newbie

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Select the drive, do a Get Info, make sure "ignore permissions on this device" is UNchecked.

Then permissions should be acknowledged. Also, make sure that access for "everyone" is off. And finally if you're using 10.5+, then consider using ACLs rather than POSIX permissions. Better control.

4. justyjust macrumors newbie

mmm settings do not seem be the same on my Windows 7 drive, this drive is the one i want to restrict. its ok with the OSX drive...

cheers

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I'm not sure that Windows7 cares about permissions on HFS+ volumes. It's probably content with just being able to read & write to it.