Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ios_location_services-250x250.jpg
Apple has doubled down on its privacy features in iOS 13, giving iPhone and iPad users a more granular view of how apps access their location information.

On Apple devices, the location services that apps can tap into use GPS, Bluetooth, and crowd-sourced Wi-Fi hotspot and cellular mast locations to determine your approximate location. The good news is that iOS 13 makes you more aware of how often apps are tracking you, as well as their motivation for doing so, and importantly it makes sure you're in control of your data.

If an app grabs your location data, iOS may display a popup notification showing you a map with the data that the app has tracked, as well as the specific reason why the app is tracking you, along with the question "Do you want to continue allowing this?"

Armed with this information, you'll usually be given three options: Allow While Using App, Allow Once, and Don't Allow. The first option limits the app's access to your location data to when the app is actively being used, the second allows it to track your location just this once, while the third disables location tracking completely.

how-to-set-location-service-ios-13-1.jpg

You can expect to see the "Just Once" option appear when you first launch a just-installed app. Otherwise, you can check out how apps on your device are using location services anytime you like by opening the Settings app and tapping through to Privacy -> Location Services.

how-to-set-location-service-ios-13-2.jpg

From here, you can change each app's permissions (Never / Ask Next Time /While Using the App / Always) and you'll also learn the reason why an app wants to access your location, allowing you to enable or disable location services on an ad-hoc basis.

The options you choose will depend on the app in question – some apps may have just cause to track your whereabouts in the background, while others may not. The point is Apple wants you to be in control of this behavior, so you can expect similar periodic notifications about what an app is up to with your location information.

Article Link: How to Restrict an App's Location Access in iOS 13

Last edited:

iwan073

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2011
The Netherlands
Nice! My boss wants us to install an app in which we see our schedules, report our findings and all kinds of stuff.

When we start a shift, the app records our location, once. But I don’t trust ‘em. I’m afraid they can always track us with that app. So I set it to While Using at first. Now I have it turned off completely. I only switch it on when I start my shift and then turn it off again.

Hope that prevents them from spying

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
While this is a good move, it doesn't solve the "home/away" tracking many home automation apps rely on (e.g., August, Nest). And many health tracking apps likewise rely on location service. To this end, I would like one additional option:
  • Allow app to track you within certain distance where the app requests location access

UnusedLoginID

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2012
This is bad news for Google and Facebook as their apps tracks your location for no reason at all times unless explicitly changed by the user.
And I suspect Google does it with the intention of draining the battery of your iPhone so you think it’s a piece of junk.
I’m not sure Tile will like this as this is how their whole system is based on…
Anyway, well done, Apple! Power to the user!
PS: by the way, no one should have the location service arrow active when on their home screen.
[doublepost=1563989768][/doublepost]
Nice! My boss wants us to install an app in which we see our schedules, report our findings and all kinds of stuff.

When we start a shift, the app records our location, once. But I don’t trust ‘em. I’m afraid they can always track us with that app. So I set it to While Using at first. Now I have it turned off completely. I only switch it on when I start my shift and then turn it off again.

Your boss doesn’t know the power of MDM (Mobile Device Management) :) …or he actually cares about your privacy.
He/she could prevent you from changing the setting!

Reactions: t1meless1nf1n1t

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
This is bad news for Google and Facebook as their apps tracks your location for no reason at all times unless explicitly changed by the user.
Not sure who you're getting your info from, but you seriously need to give it back to them.:D To be fair, I can't speak for Facebook apps because I have none. But if the source is the same one you use for your Google apps info, it's pretty suspect to say the least.

Just a guess, but I'd bet you have no idea how location tracking works on iOS or Android.

Reactions: macfacts

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I just have location services off almost all the time. Like many features I turn off, I’ve never really missed it, but it is interesting when apps request you turn it on for apparently no good reason I can discern whatsoever. I have a simple notes app on my Watch that asks me to turn it on to determine my location every once in a while. A notes app... !?!? :confused:

Obviously there are some apps where I can see the benefits location services might bring people. But I generally hate the whole thing, and the more controls, and the more granular controls for users, the better.

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA

If it’s your personal phone can’t really make you install anything. If a company phone then can do and ask what ever wants.

Reactions: iwan073

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
And I suspect Google does it with the intention of draining the battery of your iPhone so you think it’s a piece of junk.
I’m not sure Tile will like this as this is how their whole system is based on…
Anyway, well done, Apple! Power to the user!
And when people use their Facebook Logins to sign in other apps you are just leaving the door open.

TheWatchfulOne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
...A notes app... !?!? :confused:
Sure why not? For some people, it might be useful to look on a map and see where they were when they wrote the note. Especially in the case where a specific location inspired a great idea. If it's not useful, turn off Location Services for that app.

Reactions: arthography

arthography

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2015
I’d prefer being able to activate location for some apps only based on location (when I’m around a certain city) and for others have it enabled within 5km of my actual location (reported randomly). No weather app almost needs to know exactly where I am

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.