How to restrict certain features in System Preferences?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AppleFan22, Feb 8, 2015.

1. AppleFan22 macrumors regular

I want to set up the Guest account with only certain System Preferences features available. For example, there is access to the Mouse/Trackpad preferences, but not to the Users & Groups preferences. How can I do this?

2. flynz4 macrumors 68040

System preferences > Security & Privacy > Advanced > Require Administrator Password to access System-Wide Preferences

Earlier versions of OSX have a different path... but it is in the security section.

/Jim

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

A guest user may be able to make changes, but those changes are lost when the guest logs out - reset to user defaults.

Guest can make any changes they like, but all changes are dumped when the guest logs out. The next user to log in to the guest user sees only the defaults.
    The guest user can't unlock system-wide settings, unless the guest knows an admin user and password for that Mac.

Guest should remain a guest. IMHO, if they know the admin credentials, then they are no longer a guest, eh?

4. AppleFan22 thread starter macrumors regular

That's not what I wanted. I've used Macs before that have certain settings dimmed, so that they can't be accessed at all.

----------

I guess you're right, but I just wanted to grant access to certain settings, but not others. Like General Preferences, but not Language & Region or Bluetooth.

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

You did say "Guest account" or Guest user - correct?
    The Guest account, by definition, is a guest, and can't change user or computer settings - unless they know an admin login on your computer.
    Of course, you don't give a guest your admin password.
    (or would you? :D )
    Any files that the guest saves are automatically deleted when the guest user logs out.