Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Boop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2008
Chicago
I can't seem to get my MBP to wake up from standby when I close my lid. It works on the Mac side but not with XP. In fact when I close the lid it shows "starting standby" but never really goes into it. What settings do I need tweeked?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Check under your Power Options control panel to see how your computer is set to behave when the monitor is closed.

It might be set to Hibernate instead of Sleep as well.

Boop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2008
Chicago
When I open the lid it says "preparing to Standby" so it never actually goes into standby. It just freezes and has to be rebooted.

Has nobody else experienced this?

Thanks

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
I get a blue screen of death when I try to wake from standby on my 2008 Macbook Pro. I've tried updating the video drivers, removing input key remapper and temporarily disabling the AVG virus checker and it crashes regardless. I don't know what else to try at this point. Sleep works fine in OSX 10.6.8. I get a irql_not_less_or_equal error with standby now.

Last edited:

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
After installing Microsoft's Debugger tools, the cause of the Blue Screen of Death issues waking from standby appears to be the 1394 Firewire driver. Scanning Google for driver issues, it seems that there have been a lot of people who cannot get Firewire (especially FW800) to work right in Windows with Boot Camp. The driver installed here appears to be from Microsoft. I don't know if Apple has/had a driver at some point and whether the SP3 update overwrote it or anything, but I just installed the 3.2 version of Boot Camp and it didn't update it or anything. I don't use FW in Windows, just OSX, so maybe I can just disable it and see if that restores standby (unless there's a newer driver somewhere).

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
The problem was indeed the Firewire drivers. I replaced them with the Unibrain drivers recommended by Texas Instruments themselves (who make the interface that's in my Macbook Pro) and now standby mode works just fine in Windows XP Pro SP3 on my 2008 MBP. According to the Unibrain site, they are the ONLY 100% working and full speed FW800 compatible drivers for Windows XP for the Texas Instrument chipset. The Microsoft ones are CRAP.

Anyone who is getting a Blue Screen of Death from Standby mode or problems with Firewire devices in Windows in Boot Camp would be well advised to install these free replacement drivers (http://www.unibrain.com/download/download.asp)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.