Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TGB77

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2019
Based on a recent conversation I had with Apple creative media, it became apparent to me that it is impossible to retrieve from iCloud the original of an edited photo. I'm hoping that they are wrong and that there is a way to do this. Does anyone have any insight on this?

This leads to a few suggestions:
1) When a user downloads an edited photo from iCloud, the edited version and original download.
2) All photos which have been edited get auto-tagged into a folder 'edited photos'
3) Enable the user to edit the photos in iCloud. E.g. revert to original or edit an unedited photo.

swandy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
Not apparently from iCloud.com - though it would be a nice option. But most people are probably downloading using the Photos app and that does give the option of downloading (or actually exporting) the original file. Unfortunately this only applies to the original JPEG files as Apple Photo does not upload the RAW files to iCloud (if your camera shoots RAW+JPEG).

TGB77

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2019
Not apparently from iCloud.com - though it would be a nice option. But most people are probably downloading using the Photos app and that does give the option of downloading (or actually exporting) the original file. Unfortunately this only applies to the original JPEG files as Apple Photo does not upload the RAW files to iCloud (if your camera shoots RAW+JPEG).
Photos app? What photos app are you referring to?

Obviously my originals of the edits do exist in the cloud, as I am able to do 'revert' on such edited photos.

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
Photos app? What photos app are you referring to?

Obviously my originals of the edits do exist in the cloud, as I am able to do 'revert' on such edited photos.

The Mac app. You simply go File, Export, Export Unmodified Original For n Photos... versus Export n Photos... for the edited version.

On the phone I guess the best way is to duplicate the photo and do a revert on one of them.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Based on a recent conversation I had with Apple creative media, it became apparent to me that it is impossible to retrieve from iCloud the original of an edited photo. I'm hoping that they are wrong and that there is a way to do this. Does anyone have any insight on this?

This leads to a few suggestions:
1) When a user downloads an edited photo from iCloud, the edited version and original download.
2) All photos which have been edited get auto-tagged into a folder 'edited photos'
3) Enable the user to edit the photos in iCloud. E.g. revert to original or edit an unedited photo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.