How to retrieve iPhoto photos from old HDD?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hzxu, Nov 26, 2010.

1. hzxu macrumors regular

I've upgraded my macbook pro's HDD, and I did a clean install of OSX, I can copy documents from old HDD to the new one, but I don't know how to get photos in iPhoto in the old HDD, can anyone help?

Thanks!

2. yanr macrumors newbie

I assume you already have the old harddrive in an enclosure and can access files from it. Your iPhoto library can be found at /<your user name>/Pictures/iPhoto Library. Just copy that file to the same location on your new hard drive. iPhoto should pick it up automatically, and you'll be good to go.

This won't "merge" the two libraries though, so be careful if you have already added new photos to iPhoto (on the new HD).

3. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

To add to what yanr said above, if you've already created a new iPhoto Libray on the new hard drive (happens automatically if you launch iPhoto and there isn't one already) you'll want to rename the one from the old hard drive iPhoto Library 2 or something. If you rename it you can put it in the same location as the other one. Hold down the Option key when you launch iPhoto and it will allow you to choose which iPhoto Library you want to use. If you need to merge them into one, you'll need a third party app like iPhoto Library Manager.

4. hzxu thread starter macrumors regular