How to return Air to factory?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by SyncSpin, Aug 19, 2011.

1. SyncSpin macrumors member

Hey guys, I am taking my air back shortly but I need to get it back to factory and delete any stuff I put on the first couple days. How do I do it without cds?

2. Nioxic macrumors regular

i belive you press the command button + R during boot up?

and you should be able to reinstall the OS from a 2nd "super duper secret hidden and confidential HDD" :p

3. bigdrizzle13 macrumors newbie

restart it. Hold option (not 100% sure about this).

Go into the disc utility which you will see right away and erase your HD.

However, you don't need to do this. Apple actually wipes the drive without ever turning it on when they get returns. If you are worried about private info and it is a peace of mind thing, I completely understand.

4. Dairyman macrumors member

put the USB drive in or on the newest one just restart and hold the "alt option" key left hand side left of the command key

and follow the prompts from there very easy

i wipe the drive using disk utility then restore personally (in case you are selling it)

5. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

I am pretty sure you will not be able to secure erase the SSD with disk utility.

I would probably go to "system preferences / security" and encrypt your data with a convoluted security key. Then restore the OS from the hidden partition as recommended.

Any personal data remaining in the drive system will be encrypted and unreadable to anyone else (and you if you don't write down the key).:cool:

-howard

6. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

You can't return it to the factory, because it's got your human smell on it. The other Macbook Air's won't bond with it, and it'll be rejected.

Your best shot is to release it into the wild, and let it care for itself.