How to rip a movie that's split between 2 discs?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jphealy, Jun 25, 2008.

1. jphealy macrumors member

I've been ripping DVDs and importing to iTunes, preparing for the iPhone 3G that I'm going to buy in a couple of weeks. I'm using a MacBook with Handbrake, and it's working pretty well, except I have a few movies that are spread over 2 DVD discs, like the Lord of the Rings movies, and Grand Prix.

Can anybody give me a simple step-by-step on how best to rip these and make them into a single movie file in iTunes?

Thanks!!

2. tuinte macrumors member

Hola!

Use Handbrake to import and convert both DVDs (as you have been with single DVD movies) so that you have two separate movie files, one of Disc 1, one of Disc 2. Then import them into some video editing software and lay them down side by side and export this into one new movie file containing the whole movie.

Quicktime can do this, too.

1) Open both movies in Quicktime.

2) Select the movie file of the second half of the movie, click Edit > Select All.

3) Edit > Copy.

4) Select the first half of the movie, move the playhead to the end, and select Edit > Paste.

Voila. One big movie file. Save it and import to iTunes.

This can all also be done in Final Cut or iMovie, though it's different because there's a timeline and bins/events.

-Michael

3. jphealy thread starter macrumors member

Great! Thanks for the advice. It'll give me a chance to use iMovie - I haven't used it before. I'll post again if I have any problems.

Thanks again!!

4. jphealy thread starter macrumors member

Hi,

I used iMovie, and it worked great - except for one thing: The chapter markers disappeared after I joined the two videos and exported the movie to iTunes. Is there any way I can hold on to the chapter markers created by Handbrake?

Thanks!