How to rip DVD so I can then open it in Quicktime?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Gloor, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Gloor macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I have a school project that requires me to get some good lines of dialogues so I tried to use Handbrake to rip my dvds so I can then open it in Quicktime and export just the sound. Unfortunately, if I set it to mp4 then it doesn't open in QT but if I use avi then it does open in QT but requires some codecs.

What is the simple way to rip just the audio from a dvd so I can then open it in QT and find the lines I want?
    I will appreciate any help
    Thank you

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

.mp4 should definetly play in QT. You're setting something wrong in Handbrake.

3. Gloor thread starter macrumors 6502a

well, what video codec should i use? H.264? I believe that is the default QT codec, isn't it? Btw, it got somehow saved as m4v. Any clues what could I have done wrong?

Thank you for swift reply

4. Gloor thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok, ive managed to get mp4 file but when i open it in quicktime it tells me that "The file is not a movie file."
    Any idea pls?

5. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

Are you using the presets in Handbrake? I've always one of the defaults from the presets on the side and haven't had any issues opening them with Quicktime.

6. Gloor thread starter macrumors 6502a

Could someone walk me through the steps in Handbrake so I can open the movie in quicktime? I tried so many combinations but still couldn't get it to work. I noticed, that sometimes when I choose MP4 file format, it is saved as m4v which I don't understand why.
    I tried MP4, MKV, AVI and OGM presets and that didn't work either. Do I need to change something in the video codec in video section? How about Audio? AAC or AC3?
    P.s.: I have quicktime Pro

7. Gloor thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK, I've found the problem.
    It seems to me, that the problem wasn't my lack of knowledge but version 0.9.3 is buggy. I installed 0.9.2 and everything works flawlessly so if someone experiences the same issue then look for the older version.
    Also 0.9.3 made my Mac Pro go to Kernel Panic 3x which I didn't like at all (I had this computer for a year and yesterday was the first time I saw kernel panic) :(

Anyway, I hope it helps somebody who might have the same problem.