How to rip DVD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by scotty56, Mar 23, 2008.

1. scotty56 macrumors regular

I know there are posts already on this, but I cant find one specially related to my question. Which is, Ill be traveling this week and Ive read that battery life can be maximized if I watch a dvd right off the HD as opposed to running the disk on my superdrive.

Do I have to download ripping software, or is there a way to upload it to iTunes? Or do you all think Ill be ok watching a three hour movie on my nearly brand new macbook 2.2? One thing I hated about my old computer was the battery didnt hold its charge after two years and movies would quit right at the best part! Thanks all!

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

MacTheRipper or Handbrake, depending on how much HD space and time you have.

3. scotty56 thread starter macrumors regular

So just download handbrake and put the dvd in and rip then?

4. David G. macrumors 6502a

There are a few select DVDs out there now that have digital copies which can be transferred to your computer. If you have one of those your in luck. Also, don't do the converting in Handbrake while you are battery power, it's just about the most battery sucking thing you can do to your computer.

5. soccersquirt82 macrumors 6502

When using Handbrake, use a preset (iPod). Also, it sometimes takes a while, so you may want to use a lower quality.