How to rip DVDs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alvinoolivas, Aug 19, 2011.

1. alvinoolivas macrumors newbie

Im new tO Mac computers. I have a new MacBook pro running lion and I need a program to copy/rip/download or whatever it's called, my purchased DVD movies to my Mac. All I want to be able to do is store my DVD collection on my Mac and use my Mac and plug it into my tv with my hdmi cord to watch the movies. I tried roxio toast 11 titanium and it wouldn't work because the movies are copy protected so I need something else. I'm more than happy to pay for something as long as it works good and easy. I've heard some programs can edit out subtitles and stuff to make files smaller so thats a plus.

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Handbrake seems to be a popular choice. I use RipIt.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This thread also contains an active discussion of tools and how they work in Lion. MacTheRipper is one of the more popular tools to do a full image/copy of the disc. It has a sort of complicated "closed beta" system (explained here), and you will need that closed beta version of it to use it in Lion.

Handbrake is probably the most popular choice for ripping the discs in the sense of making video files (H.264, etc) rather than full image copies.