Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mortenjensen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
Hi all

I am looking for a program that automatically can rip a mini-dv tape to a DVD.
I do not need to do any editing - just an easy way to transfer my footage to a DVD that will play in any drive.

Morten

mortenjensen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
Isn't there a free option?
I mean, it should be a pretty easy thing, one would think. A one-botton-solution.

Morten

Nov 28, 2010
located
I mean, it should be a pretty easy thing, one would think. A one-botton-solution.

Morten

It is not that easy, as it is a three part process. Capturing, transcoding and burning.
As far as I know, there is no alternative.
You could look for older versions of iDVD, but if you have Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, iDVD 7.1.4 is the minimum version working with that.

mortenjensen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
yes, I am running the latest version of Lion.
Does it mean that there is no solution at all then?
Morten

Nov 28, 2010
located
Morten

There is the iDVD solution, if you want an automated process.
Or you could take a look at Automator to make a "script" to use QT Player to record the video and use Burn to burn a simple video DVD.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Morten

simsa is right...idvd, but you need to capture the footage first and there is no fast way to do it. if your tape is 1.5 hours, it takes 1.5 hours to ingest. Then iDVD will transcode and burn the DVD.

mortenjensen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
But is it rightly understood that iDVD is no longer a part of iMovie i the newest os?

Or, to be correct, you can still burn dvd's - but you have no separate program.

And if: Can I "downgrade" or not? Can I have the newest version of iMovie + the old iDvD running at the same time?

Morten

Nov 28, 2010
located
But is it rightly understood that iDVD is no longer a part of iMovie i the newest os?
iDVD was never part of iMovie, it was part of iLife.

Or, to be correct, you can still burn dvd's - but you have no separate program.
You need a separate application to make video DVDs, like Burn or iDVD.

And if: Can I "downgrade" or not? Can I have the newest version of iMovie + the old iDvD running at the same time?
Since iDVD is a separate application, no downgrading is involved. And since the current iMovie version is the one coming with the iLife suite I earlier linked to, there is again no need to downgrade.
Even if you would use iDVD version 1 and iMovie version 9, you can still use iMovie 9 when you use iDVD 1.

The OneStep procedure does not involve iMovie.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Hi again
Thx for your patience here. What confuses me is that apple states that iLife11 is part of every new mac: http://www.apple.com/ilife/

Since that is what I have (a new mac), will I then gain anything from being iLife11 here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-li...&ie=UTF8&qid=1335634802&sr=1-1&condition=used

Will iLife11 allow me to rip DV-tapes pretty straightforwardly?

Morten

iLife is an application SUITE, currently containing THREE DIFFERENT APPLICATIONS: iMovie (video editing), iPhoto (photo management and simple manipulation) and Garage Band (music creation and manipulation).
Before Mac OS X 10.7 Lion arrived, iLife also contained iDVD (video DVD creation / authoring) and iWeb (website creation), but Apple removed those from Macs coming with Mac OS X 10.7 Lion.
For a while one could still buy the complete iLife suite (iWeb, iDVD, iMovie, iPhoto, Garage Band) from the Apple Online Store, but Apple removed all its own applications from that store, and all of Apple's applications are now only available via the Mac App Store (MAS). iDVD and iWeb are not available via MAS.
Therefore, if you want iDVD and want to pay for it, you need to buy the iLife suite I linked to on Amazon or try eBay.
Upon installation you can select what you want to install.

Was that understandable?

PS: And to that highly intelligent dickless dude down-voting my posts: Come on, send me a PM, unless you are a sissy. I promise I won't report you, even if you use expletives, if you are short of words.

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC

Morten

It is, so to speak, as long as you have a consumer DVD player/burner. You can plug your camera into the set top DVD burner via a component or composite cable, hit play on the camcorder, and record on the DVD burner. But of course you need to buy the hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.