How to rip old Region 4 DVDs?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Polska, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Polska macrumors member

Hello folks,

I am desperate. Soon I will move for an year to Berlin and I do want to get all my DVDs (850 and counting) with me. Of course it will be impossible to carry all of them with me so I started slowly to rip them. The Region 1 DVDs I have no problem using Handbrake but the Region 4 (specially the old ones) it seems impossible.

Every time that I try to rip a Region 4 with HandBrake, takes 10 minutes to it scanning the DVD and returns a "No source found". Sometimes, after 10 or so minutes waiting, he finds the main title and extract but when I check the video, it's damaged (just the sound with a green bar as video).

I already tried Mac The Ripper (2.66) and it rips with no problem but by the end, it says that has bad tracks so later I cannot convert to a M4V with Handbrake. I read here people talking about Visual Hub but this one simply froze and didnt do anything.

Can anybody suggest something else? I would appreciate .

Thanks!

Erick Pessôa
    Brazil

2. thunderclap macrumors 6502a

Have you tried copying the VIDEO_TS directory from the DVD to your hard drive and then burning it to a DVD-R? Maybe original DVD has some imperfections that are causing the problem.

3. Polska thread starter macrumors member

I don't think it's an imperfection because I tried 32 different DVDs so far. It's something different. :(

4. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Brazil is NTSC, correct? So that is likely not the problem...

5. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

You might try one of the old deCSS programs. If they are old DVDs it is probably as simple as stripping the CSS off. You can google it. I believe the original program was called simply decss for the PC. I seem to remember there was a similar program for the Mac.

6. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

I've found that if I try to rip a Region 1 DVD when my DVD drive is set to a different region, I get the same problem. I also can't copy the VIDEO_TS folder from the DVD to my hard drive. Easiest way round it I have found is to put a different region DVD in (say if its set to the default 2 and I put in a 1) Apple DVD Player will ask me to change the region, which I do. I can then rip the DVD, then put in a region 2 DVD and change it back again.

I'm using Region X to reset the count each time so the drive doesn't get locked to a specific region after 5 changes

Hope this helps

pac

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

disc region 4 is australia??

send it to me and ill do it 4 ya lol

8. Polska thread starter macrumors member

Pac,

That could be a reason!! I downloaded Region X but he asks to confirm that my DVD Drive is Region Free, which is not. How can I make it region Free? It's a Macbook Pro DVD (not DL). Could you help me?

Thanks!
    Erick Pessôa

9. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

10. Polska thread starter macrumors member

Yoren,

Every time I try MacTheRipper he extracts but by the end it says that the DVD has bad sectors and when I try to convert it to a M4V file, Handbrake says that the Source was not found.

Erick Pessôa

11. Polska thread starter macrumors member

The Final Solution

Hi all.

Pac gave me the the reason of the problem; being set to Region 1, Handbrake does not rip other Region's DVD. What I'm doing now is the following:
    - In my Vista computer (regular PC) I rip the Region 4 DVD using AnyDVD with CloneDVD, ripping the Main Title to an external drive.
    - I plug the external drive to my Macbook Pro and convert it with Handbrake. It worked fine.

Thanks for the help!

Erick Pessôa
    Brazil