How to rip TV Shows

Discussion in 'iPod' started by TheBusDriver, Jun 18, 2007.

1. TheBusDriver macrumors 6502

Ok so I bought M*A*S*H Seasons one and two and I was wondering if there was any way to rip the different episodes off of the disc. Like into the iTunes Section TV Shows

2. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

Download MacTheRipper. That helps you rip the DVD onto your comp. Just click "Go" when the DVD loads. Wait a while for it to finish and it will create a virtual DVD on your HD with the same title as the disc.
    Then download Handbrake, and open (in Handbrake) the virtual DVD that is now on your HD. You can select the AppleTV Preset. This will create an mp4 file that you can then import into iTunes.
    When you import it into iTunes, it will show up as a Movie. To get it into the TV Shows section, click on the file and press ":apple:" key and the "i" key at the same time. Click on the Video tab and change it to TV shows.

To get individual episodes by themselves, open the DVD in the DVD player, and click "Window" in the menu bar, and make sure "Navigator" is checked. Go to the episode you want and write down "Title" and the various "Chapters" that that episode uses (something like Title 3, Chapters 1-9). Bascially each commercial break will be the start of a new chapter, so you'll have to fast-forward to get them all. You can use these in Handbrake to only extract that one episode- just select the proper Title and Chapters in the drop-down box.

Once you get comfy with this, you can create smaller files by changing the Average Bitrate setting in Handbrake to something lower than 2500 (but this reduces quality). Make sure to name each episode something different in Handbrake...or else it will just keep overwriting the one file.
    It's not necessary to use MacTheRipper, since Handbrake will work with the DVD in your drive. But I and a lot of people prefer to use MacTheRipper anyways since it will likely convert faster if it isn't reading from your dvd drive.

3. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

4. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

I use HandBrake to archive my DVDs of TV shows. Just cue up each episode and it'll rip them into separate video files ready to import into iTunes. It even has presets for iPod and AppleTV.

5. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

I use MTR ( MacTheRipper ) and Popcorn .. For me those are the easiest 3rd party apps for Mac to use..

If you got an intel Mac then it'll be 1:1 ripping in popcorn

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hhmm just wondering if by ripping the dvd onto your computer would it then be much faster ripping it using handbrake?? or wouldnt you notice much difference?

aaahh n-abounds kinda already answered this

7. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

Though you do have to take into account that ripping it to the HD will take up time, too.

8. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

yeah handbrake is the best because mac the ripper doesnt go straight to mp4

9. Kevin83165 macrumors regular

Whenever I use Handbrake to rip episodes, it shows 8 episodes and I add them and cue them up. But the problem is, I end up with 8 episodes that start in the middle and end prematurely.

I have fiddled for hours with this and it seems hopeless. I was hoping to find a program that would just rip the entire DVD into one long file compatible with my iPod to avoid this. Tutorials claim handbrake does this by selecting the "longest" episode but the problem is there isnt a longest one. Theres 8 of them all equal in length, 24 minutes each.

Anyone have a clue?