How to roll back a software update?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Veracon, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Veracon macrumors newbie

Hello.

Today I ran a routine Software Update, installing most of the recommended available updates — namely updates for iPhoto (2009), my Canon printer, and a Java update. After they finished installing, Firefox promptly stopped working and now suffers from chronic beachball syndrome upon starting. I've tried all the possible troubleshooting methods within the application, so I'm starting to become pretty sure that the culprit is the Java update.

Apple.com had a page on how to deactivate installed updates, but that appears to only apply to OS X <= 10.5, and since I'm running 10.7, that's no good (I tried, of course). Does anyone around here know how I would go about deactivating and/or rolling back an already installed update?

Thanks in advance.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You cannot roll back a software update. You'll have to reinstall Mac OS X or restore from a Time Machine backup.

3. Veracon thread starter macrumors newbie

I see. I'm mainly curious because, as this KB article suggests, it was definitely possible up to and including 10.5. Can you confirm that they removed this functionality in 10.6 onwards?

Sorry for asking the same question twice, but I'd rather make sure before I go as far as to reinstalling the OS altogether.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That's if you want to hide an update from the list of available updates. If doesn't uninstall or roll back past updates.