How to roll back from AptBackup !

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jigsb007, Apr 27, 2011.

1. jigsb007 macrumors 6502

Experts !

i have JBroken my iphone with iOS 4.3.1 and unlocked using gevey sim.
    and so i had downloaded lots of Apps from installous and App store.

With that i had also installed App. called AptBackup. i was reading about this app and find usefull and so downloaded.

Now, today i just screwed up. i ran that App and hit restore. now i have lost all my apps ( which i had sownloaded.....around 5 GB )

and if i try to do restore again, its giving me msg. that i can only restore after i do restore from itune.

Bcoz its Bailbroken , i dont want to go and do all the process ( jailbreak / preserve the baseband ) again...

Is there a way to get my iPhone back to normal ?
    what if i uninstall AppBackup ? will i get back to the earlier stage ?

Also, one quick question....
    since, i am using gevey sim to unlock baseband ,Do i still need to preserve my baseband ? currently its 2.10.04. what if i upgrade my iSO thru itune to 4.3.2, which baseband will i get ?

And if i do so, will the Gevey sim work witht he new iOS ? i guess it will be 4.3.2.

Sorry about the Big Draft...
    Appreciated..

2. BJTC macrumors newbie

Missing Icon "Fix" Without Restore

Hey there,

Wanted to offer some assistance, if I'm not too late. I was dealing with the same thing last night and was seriously stressed, because I had JUST bought a Verizon iPhone on Craigslist at 4.2.6 and it didn't have any saved shsh files on TinyUmbrella (that was one of the first things I did when I got it but the window had already closed so only 4.2.7 was saved). This meant that a simple restore would have caused me to *have* to roll forward to what is, at the time of this writing, the un-jailbreak-supported 4.2.7.

I had few icons showing up after running AptBackup, which I did after a install and restore and while it restored Cydia's apps, it took the icons for all my others with it, leaving about 15GB (!) of space marked as "other" in iTunes. None of the tutorials online with a search for "remove yellow other aptbackup" or whatever I Googled really helped, but at least it gave me the idea.

I started by unchecking everything in iTunes (Music, Movies, Video, even info) so that it was as empty as I could get it (still had 15GB of yellow "other")

Then, since I had OpenSSH installed, I Filezilla'd my way into the iPhone system, found /private/var/mobile/Applications and lo and behold, there were all of my apps, all buried within a string of alpha-numerically folders (the way they are normally stored.)

I deleted EVERYTHING in Applications, which took forEVER (hours upon hours), because Filezilla wanted to go in each sub folder and sub-sub-subfolder within every app and delete every file separately. I feel certain there was an easier way to do it, but I couldn't find it, so I just let it do its thing, all night and into this morning.

I restarted after it was done and that 15GB file is now 1.35GB, which I'm guessing is all Cydia stuff, and perhaps file system stuff. If it isn't, I don't know where the other 1.25GB is! :)

Now I'm in the process of restoring from my PREVIOUS backup from early April, which is close enough. Better still would probably be to do a fresh install but I have too many gamesaves that would disappear!

I'll know in a couple of hours whether everything is working properly, but it *seems* to be at the moment (knock wood!) Hopefully a 4.2.7 unlock will come out soon, at which point I may do another fresh restore, as Cydia was unreliable for me, complaining about some "hash sum mismatch" (no idea) fresh from the greenpois0n jailbreak. Also, I do hope other people will be able to learn from my AptBackup mistake, and possible solution, after running a similar search in the future. Lastly, I hope it goes some way to addressing your own issue. Good luck!

K-

3. jigsb007 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your time and reply.

i finally gave up. it was too late for me y'day nite and i was anyhow planning to upgrade to 4.3.2 which i did , using snowbreez.

though my itune had a back up of my iphone ( music and apps ) so i restore the back-up. but bcoz those all apps were installed from Cydia and installous , it wasnt recozniging and asking to PAY for those.

so i guess i will have to download each apps again one by one.

If you have some solution to installed those apps thru itune ( as its bit faster to install all apps from itune to iphone, as its connected thru wire ) let me know. i still have those backed up in itune.

Thanks